1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Helpless parent

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swasal, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That falls into a parallel spectrum - home schooling. :coffee

1 person likes this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I am absolutely shocked and horrified that you would denigrate "Women's Studies" like this - in spite of being of the female persuasion yourself! Have you no solidarity? Shocked, I tell you! :eek
    Apologies for the digressions, OP!:hide:

3. swasal

swasal Bronze IL'ite

Dear all.......thank u all sooooo much for getting back to me. But sorry I didn't get back to thank earlier. Actually I was under so much of grief that didnt check the posts....as expected my son flunked very badly in 11th grade. he has to repeat his 11th class. For few days it was really difficult for me to digest this but now both me and my husband have come to the conclusion this will be best for him. But we will be shifting him to a school which will be closer to our home and which has a better control on the children.
    Now my son says he will stick on with the PCM group itself. He says he didnt study at all and just wanted to relax and enjoy. He didnt expect to be detained. He has to learn his lesson from this experience.

1 person likes this.
  4. swasal

swasal Bronze IL'ite

Thank you dear Shanvy... for taking time to get back to me. I am also trying to take things as it comes but sometimes I feel everything is just slipping away from my hand :(
    Hope your health is better now! Get well soon!

1 person likes this.
  5. swasal

swasal Bronze IL'ite

Thank you, so much!

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@swasal hugs. and it is is ok if you could not reply promptly. comeon yaar there is no grief here. maybe disappointment..this is not something that is so bad. and please as expected shows your disappointment and the way youare looking at it.. now please do not say that in your sons vicinity..
    he will. only be there but be firm.

you are welcome..and this year boards papers have not been that good to the kids..too lengthy and is a hazard for a dyslexic kid.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

as i mentioned earlier, there is so much that is now possible apart from engineering, if only we would stop thinking engineering is the only route for big money or status or competiting with some relative or friend..

There is a integrated b.ed with pure sciences integrated bsc/msc. and an institute for that many of us may not be aware of that too. a wonderful boon for a kid who is passionate about becoming a teacher..regional institute of educations rie, for example rie mysore..
    Physics

oh let me stop here do not want to hijack this thread..

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

'better control of the children'? What is this? What are you doing? This phrase itself reveals that there is no change in your (ie parent's) mindset or approach towards your kid. Why are you and your husband so hung up on controlling your kid? Dont you understand that your unnecessary and excessive controlling is what has contributed to creating this situation in the first place? You wouldnt let him be with his friends ( a perfectly normal desire), you wont send him anywhere, even to relax and be with his friends. You kept denying his simple appropriate requests and desires so he concluded that there is no point even talking to you ppl and did what he wanted and started hiding and lying.

OP, please understand that when a kid hides stuff and lies about things it is because he doesnt feel his parents will understand, because the parents are too strict and controlling and have unrealiastic expectations. If you really want to get this right, you HAVE to gain his trust and open the channels of communication so he will himself tell you what is going on. If you dont address the past mistakes made by you , then history will repeat itself.

A stricter school and even more control of the kid is NOT the answer for your situation.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@1sandhya the last response should go into her other thread depressed....most of what you have said here applies there...

i don't have the patience right now..:hide:

10. swasal

swasal Bronze IL'ite

Thanku 1Sandhya........By stricter school...what i meant was a better disciplined school and a school which cares for the children. My son was going to one of the highest fees school here...but there was no proper feedback from school or his teachers. My son was always giving us a good picture of his school and teachers so we never felt something was wrong. The teachers never called us or even complained to us of any issues.....
    Regarding 'going out with friends' its not that we never allowed him....v being out of India...there are some restrictions and fears v have....but still v have allowed him to go out with his friends once in a while..... true we don't allow that on a frequent basis.
    We get him everything he needs...but he always compares himself with his friends... who he says can go anywhere they want and do anything they want..........