1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Temple trouble

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

(Dear ladies please do not come looking for me after reading this. I hope to enjoy a long life and don’t want to be lynched. On the other hand, if you think deeply on what I have written, you would realize the total absurdity of all this temple entry stuff)

The ladies entering the police bus looked like the ones who I see regularly at kitty parties (No I don’t attend them) at my club’s restaurant. It was as if they got bored with gossiping and bad mouthing MILs and DILs and said “Chalo! Let us launch some protest –wotest”.

So they probably decided to launch a movement to demand that women be allowed to enter the sanctum sanctorum of the Tiambakeshwar temple in Nashik . Maharashtra. Hey wait! This was not the first time the ladies got into the police net. Earlier they were rounded up when they tried to force their way into a Shani temple in the same state which is an all male preserve. Looks like Shani took a malevolent look at himself in the mirror and suffered his own seven and half years itch that he inflicts on unsuspecting humans.

Now, I am the last person who should talk about temple entries. I haven’t entered one in over decades.The last time I entered a temple was to pray for high marks in my school final exams but the guy upstairs didn’t oblige. Probably the quantum of bribe was not enough. Jokes apart, I am a dyed-in-the-wool atheist.

If you ask me I would say there is no need to enter a temple. It is a sheer waste of time. You can do a lot of productive work in that time. I just don’t understand why people queue up in thousands to enter a temple at times. The only gain is these temples make pots of money from the gullible, my apologies, the devotees.

That they are not able to enter Sabarimala, Triambakeshwar or some Shani temple is the biggest problem facing women in the country. Education, healthcare, careers and empowerment (Please don’t think of Rahul Gandhi when I write this word. Thanks to him people guffaw at the very mention of empowerment) are trivialities.

The glass ceiling has been smashed and reduced to a rubble in every field and now women can afford the luxury of launching a movement to enter temples. These upper middle class ladies fighting for temple entry are either unaware of the plight of lot of women in India or just don’t give a damn. They are just limelight junkies and little else matters.

If they were really concerned about women’s lot, they would have raised a flag for equality at workplaces including equal wages for equal work which exists often only on paper, security from sexual abuse, proper education (Even now in a lot of areas when people are told about the importance educating girls, they are laughed off scornfully with ‘Is she going to become a collector or what?’) and early marriages and childbirths. Girls in the backwaters of the country are married off as soon as they attain puberty and often even before that and become mothers in their teens. The group called Bhumata brigade which seems to be the political avatar of kitty party aunties seems to be blind to all this and what matters is temple entry. This is the curse of the electronic media and everyone wants his/her 30 seconds of fame by showing the mug on TVor a political career beyond that with stunts like this

There is a temple in Kerala where only women are allowed on certain days to offer prayers to goddss Bhagawati, Wonder what if some men’s right group is set up and tries to forcibily enter that temple during these days? They would probably castigated as MCPs bent on male dominance.

So ladies change your mindset and raise real issues seriously. That way you might get dirty and your designer clothes may get soiled but that is what real struggle is all about. If you are not capable of that at least stop indulging in such stunts and retire to your home or favourite restaurants/clubs and let the heads of your MILs and DILs roll at kitty parties.

14 people like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balaji,
    Agree with every word that you say.
    So many issues are there to fight for....why only about temples?
    In our country we avoid big issues and take up some small insignificant issue and make hell of a noise about it!
    Syamala

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Shyamala the lure of electronic media is such that people take up issues that attract media attention than do real good work tackling genuine problems. As a result nowadays we are unable to tell grain from chaff, real activists taking up real issues from these shallow kitty party women posing as activists.

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Balajee women who think them as activists doesn't know the basic reason.The Karpagraham is very hot and Vikragam reflects the heat .Heat affects the Uterus and that's why women are not allowed inside.Usually people believe the facts which are said by God's name and so our ancestors predicted as a rule.i heard this from some one and i am not sure whether others accept this fact .But i thought it may be the cause.You mentioned about Bagavathi temple and women have sandalwood thilak on their forehead which has the effect to cool down the heat.

3 people like this.
  5. banujaga

banujaga Gold IL'ite

Yes Periamma, I totally agree with you.

I also believe that if our ancestors have made rules, there must be soem benefit to the human kind behind it. I do not know why nowadays people have tend to break al all these. it has become a fashion nowadays.

@Balajee - I totally agree with yu. There are so many issues that needs attention and why these temple issues???

6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thought provoking post...........Good one....

I agree with you. These kind of protests are not going to do any benefit to the country.

I heard another story about women protesting to enter Shani temple in Shanishingnapur in Maharashtra.

I really can't understand what is the real motive behind this? is it a part of fighting for equality?

7. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Balajee,

True what you have said here, there is an abundance of issues that needs to be resolved pertaining to "Women" than to worry about an entry into the temple. And what better day to start this controversy just ahead of "International Women's Day". I somehow feel all this is dirty politics, a bunch of silly women who come for few minutes of fame, media not disappointing.

This news will die down shortly...but won't be long enough before another emerges. Wonder which deity/temple would be the next target :)

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Periamma, that could be possible but whatever reason, temple entry is a non-issue and if these protesters are really concerned about women's rights they would tackle REAL issues concerning women's empowerment like education, health care, career, gender equality etc and not such cosmetic matters.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Banujaga these temple issues are non-issues but get blown up by news channels and these ladies bask in limelight and that is exactly what they want.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

KCB equality cannot be achieved by some shallow step like entering temples but by attaining equal rights through economic and social empowerment, financial independence through careers and equal opportunity at the workplace and safety from sexual exploitation.

1 person likes this.