1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can a SAHM and working mom be close friends ever?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by sslkgpaa, Feb 26, 2016.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

i think I am lucky to have my two best friends who are SAHM and except for teasing each-other sometimes, we don't have issues. It might be because both of my friends worked before settling in SAHM roles and both of them are now actively looking for jobs. I offer help wherever I can and they listen to me when I need to vent :). Friendship is much deeper thing than who got what.

3 people like this.
  2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes stay at home moms are expected to bend over backwards and do certain things because they are 'just at home all day'!
    Hence I can see this comment coming.

The other 3 comments you pointed are not personally directed at you. It is just a stay at home mom's way of dealing with her choice( hopefully hers) and making herself count onto the few blessings she has.

It is always like this. Working women feel jealous of stay at home mothers and vice versa.
    Like somebody correctly said, women can't have it all.

1 person likes this.
  3. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

OP- The very definition of friendship means loving and accepting the person you call your friend. I work but my closest friend is a SAHM. We are close - we share, we gossip, we differ, we vociferously argue - but in the end of the day we are very close friends and have been for 20 years now. I think if the friendship is truly one of close bond and acceptance then such passive aggressive dynamics will not be at play. But many time people become friends because of matters of convenience without much in common which may be the cause for some of these issues.

There is no right way of parenting or taking care of home- meaning no one has all the answers or is doing everything perfectly 100% of time. We get some things right and some we learn through trial and error.

I wish we women were more supportive of each other instead of tearing each other's efforts.

5 people like this.
  4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

It's possible if both have mutual respect for each other..both stay at home and working moms have their own difficulties..sahms are burdened with cooking, household works and baby caring work throughout the day and in case of joint family they have to be with in laws 24* 7..and being a non earning member would mean that they do not have a say in many matters and also have to entertain unexpected guests on regular basis and have to ask their husbands for small expense also..but yeah they get quality time with kids and have good bonding with kids and can take rest when tired without office stress.. Working moms on other hands can afford more household helps like maids cooks caretakers day ares etc as they have combined income of husband and wife..she can drop her kid to daycare and go to office away from interference of in laws and can avoid a few unwanted commitments that sahms have...but on the other hand many do not have peace of mind leaving their kid with someone else, they don't get enough time with the kids and also they feel very tired as they keep shuttling between home office and daycare..they have to apply leave or beg the manager for work from home when kid is unwell..they have to struggle to manage household commitment along with office work and work pressures..so I feel parenting itself is not an easy job.. both stay at home moms and working moms have their own probs..it's not fair to compare with each other and make silly remarks which spoil the friendship...instead both should understand their strong and weak points and try to support each other during difficult times...