what are all the items that can be stored in freezer?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by nidhimom123, Feb 6, 2016.

1. nidhimom123

nidhimom123 New IL'ite

Dear friends,

We belong to pure vegetarian family...I am having single door 230 litres refrigerator. Now we are four members in the family (husband, me, DS and DD). Now i am planning to buy double door fridge. My questions are below:

1) What are all the items that can be stored in freezer? Now in my freezer i use to keep only ice tray.

2) Whether i can chop onion, garlic etc and store in refrigerator? If so how to prevent odour from it.

3) Whether it is advisable to chop tomatoes, green chillies, ginger etc in advance and store separately?

4) Similar in case of brinjals and raw banana...as it will turn black.

5) If i am going to double door fridge which is the best one?

Kindly guide me...

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

I keep whole spices like green cardamom, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, etc. in separate airtight glass jars in freezer section of fridge. Also,,various lentils and dry beans in separate glass bottles are kept in freezer. This way lentils remain fresh and no creepy crawly things grow in them. But I have not tried keeping any pastes like onion, garlic or tomato.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I keep besan ,maida ,open packs of dalia ,sevia...chana dal.
    I make wadas for dahi vada and freeze them.Can use these for 2-3 weeks.
    I also freeze koftas .
    I also keep the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer...for making icing or ice cream.

4. AaravShah

AaravShah Guest

Prior to freezing, wash properly, separate if applicable, and dry. Blanching most vegetables will keep them at their peak. (Blanching means dropping the vegetables into boiling hot water, then immediately into ice water then drying). Dry and divide into easy portions. This way you can just take out of the freezer what you need for a recipe without worrying about the entire bag. If properly stored, vegetables can last up to a year in your freezer. Leafy greens such as spinach, chard and kale can also be frozen. Just chop and blanch and store. You can even put them in ice cube trays for easy portions for stews and soups.

5. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Freezer is an excellent time saver.
    1. You can store raw suji so it does not get worms.
    2. Fresh peas can be shelled and stored in small plastic bags. I have kept them till 3/4 months.
    3. Raw vegetables do not freeze well, but you can wash, chop and freeze spinach and methi - use them straight from the freezer.
    4. Tomatoes can be pureed and frozen.
    5. In season I squeeze llemon juice and freeze in ice trays. when frozen take them out ant store in plastic bag. Same with Tamarind juice. Use the cubes as required.
    5. I freeze, dahi vadas, koftas, Kachoris , samosas,
    6. you can grind onion , fry it and then freeze. Ginger garlic paste stay well in fridge also for a week in air tight containers.
    7. Actually I cook double portions and freeze many things. you can also try with small portions.
    Keep all things in separate bags or airtight containers. If it starts to smell, do not use.

6. Mery

Mery Silver IL'ite

U can grind coconut and put in airtight container and freeze it...it will last for almost one week

7. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

You can cook Toor dal and freeze them in the freezer. Make sure you keep them in freezer storage containers. It will come in handy for people who make sambar often. They stay well for a few months.
    Potatoes and tomatoes don't freeze well. But you can crush tomatoes and save in ziplock bags to use in Rasam. Can keep for a month or more.