Favourite Rice Varities

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by krdblc, Feb 15, 2016.

1. krdblc

krdblc New IL'ite

Hello Every one,
    I am planning to import rice from India into US. I am from south(AP)India and I am aware of most popular rice variety in my area i.e Sona Masuri.
    If you are from Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Bengal what are your popular rice varieties?
    If you are from other parts of India and use rice as staple food, please share your thoughts as well.
    Are you happy with what you get in market today ? Do you have any complaints? What do you feel is missing?
    If you have to buy rice today, what brand rice do you buy? And what you wish your most popular brand also to have to make you 100% happy.
    I want to take your feedback into count while making my decisions. Thanks a lot.

Kiran

2. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

Hi, ikiran,

I am from Tamil Nadu and rice is my staple food. Rice is the main food for all of South India- Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra and Tamil Nadu. We do get good rice here in the U.S. The Indian stores have a variety of rice. Even the American stores carry many brands of rice. In New Jersey, where you live, rice should be available everywhere. You don't have to bring rice from India. In the supermarkets here you can get Basmathi, jasmine , long grain and brown rice as well. Many brands of white, long grain or extra long grain rice are very good and available at a very reasonable price. Please check them.
    You can make Pulihora , lemon rice, coconut rice, vegetable biriyani and other rices. Look into Indian cooking recipes and you'll find many recipes.
    Good luck!

3. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Though we get good quality rice here in the US, I do miss seeraga samba rice. Mom always used to make biriyani with seeraga samba rice, it used to taste so good.So far, I have never seen them here.