Activities that affects breastmilk..??

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by SaranKrish, Jan 22, 2016.

1. SaranKrish

SaranKrish New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I have 3 months old baby and I'm breast feeding her. Elders at my home saying breast milk supply will decrease if I stand in front of fire, mainly cooking.. So, they are stopping me from cooking.

Is that so? Can anyone explain me?

2. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi sarankrish..I have a nineteen months old baby for whom I exclusively breastfed up to 6 months and continued till 18 months. From my experience I m telling you, as long as you keep feeding your baby regularly no other factors will affect your milk supply. Even when I was sick doctors told there is no harm in breastfeeding. I even kept fasting. I used to cook and do all other chores. Nothing affected my milk supply till I weaned my baby. Don't worry..

3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

No, that is not scientifically true. "Heat" from cooking does not decrease breast milk production. You can do all activities, and still produce sufficient milk for your baby.

However, my point is, if they are willing to give you a break from cooking, please accept it, and spend time with your baby, or just resting. You will be definitely grateful for this break, when life becomes super busy, sometime later.

4. SaranKrish

SaranKrish New IL'ite

@dimhere & Chocolatey,

Thanks for your replies...

1 person likes this.
  5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How about they are forcing you to rest. Your body might need some rest from those regular chores. Take a break to those regular chores and Take care of yourself.

6. SaranKrish

SaranKrish New IL'ite

Thank you Vasumathy..