Atla thaddhe significance!

Discussion in 'Andhra Pradesh' started by kss_v, May 13, 2008.

1. kss_v

kss_v New IL'ite

Hello All,
    Can anyone tell the significance of Atla thaddhe? What do they do and why do people celebrate it and how?

Thanks,
    kssv

2. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

hello KSS

Atla thaddi is celebrated in Andhra by both married and unmarried women.on that day before the sun rises girls take head bath and then they put the mehendi (gorintaaku). and eat the dosas with specially made chutneys for that day like amla or goose berry chutney and gongoora.

in the evening they do pooja to goddess gauri for a long and happy married life and long life of the husband and pray for begetting good husbands and children.

throughout the day several games are played (in villages) and specially in the morning after eating those dosas women are supposed to sit in a jhoola and swing for sometime atelast. (we call it ooyala in telugu).

this is a traditional festival celebrated from long long years back to pray goddess gauri.

3. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi kss_v & Saahitya,

Good thread for the ladies.I had a chance to observe the Atlataddi twice before marraige.But after marriage i was not able observe as i moved to the USA and everything was new to me here.

Atladdi comes after Dasara. Ladies and young girls wake up early in the morning and have meals before sunrise and from then do fasting till sunset.They do not even have water.After sunset they do gauri pooja...then stories of Atlataddi's significance are told ...then we see the stars and the moon and then only break our fast.Then we have dosas and special dishes made for the ocassion.Gorintaaku is also put compulsorily.In the evenings dosas are given as vayanaaluu to married woman who also do fasting.All ladies have to swing on the jhoola for sometime.

Saahitya rightly mentioned that Atlataddi is observed by ladies for getting good ,handsome and loving husbands.Now i came to know that it is also done for getting good children.

Is anyone of you celebrating it this year ?

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

4. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

mannuraghuu

nice to know that you did celebrate it..yeah I remember during my childhood days i celebrated it for 3 or 4 times around my 4th,5th adn 6th standard after that no more..so kind of forgot about it totally..might be we all have to start getting these old traditions back into light...

5. kss_v

kss_v New IL'ite

Thanks for the explanation. I don't see people celebrating these days. I never did it, I just studied in my school times but hardly remember anything.

Thanks,
    kssv

6. gsr

gsr New IL'ite

Atla Thadde puja vedhanamu&katha

Hi All
    Can u pls tell me where can I find atla thadde puja katha.Pls its urgent Atla thadde is on 16th.

7. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Attlatadde katha and others u can find in teluguone site. In that choose Bhakti, and then Nomulu, you will get the list of Nomulu.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  8. sapnaHYD

sapnaHYD Gold IL'ite

I have a small doubt..seperated or divorced woman can also perform atla taddi pooja?