family business-shod be paid or not

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by aniya, Jan 13, 2016.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is not fair.Period.
    Agree...specially if it means she does not have to work at home after coming back from her full time job.

If it doesn't work out...she should just 'fall sick'and tell husband that too much work is effecting her health.Give them time to get paid help and then stop working .

1 person likes this.
  2. aniya

aniya Senior IL'ite

Yes in laws do help out but they stay separate and shouldn't that be considered as a separate thing. Assisting professionally cannot be equated to help family does out of love and by their will. It is not possible to stop working now as the family is dependent on her work and if they need to recruit someone in her place it will be full time and very expensive. Regarding not having much impact on her financially, any money is good and can be saved, isn't it wrong to assume if one is financially well off they don't require any more money?

3. sanskruthi

sanskruthi Silver IL'ite

paying for hard work done shows appreciation of time spent and work done.

1 person likes this.
  4. aniya

aniya Senior IL'ite

Yes @ Sanskruthi, it feels nice for work to be recognized. For 4 years working for family business and full time job has resulted in very bad back as well, but sill family is forcing to work and not paying anything. Husband is emotionally saying that no need for pay as its all family. "How can you not come to work for family because of money?" are the comments. The whole scene has become ugly. As though i am a greedy and ungrateful person. Husband also is not supporting. Just wanted to rant!

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You might get better feedback if you clarify the business dynamic. How exactly are the finances structured? How is the accounting done? Do other family members pay themselves a set salary? Or do members of the family vested in the business take money from it as needed? Is family spending tracked? Who has the largest investment stake in the business?

I know of cases where business expenses are tracked formally, but after that has been accounted for, the net income ends up as a 'family' pool - meaning someone manages all spending and everyone else simply asks for what they need.

So, a lot depends on a combination of the family & business dynamics.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

So she works full time, takes care of home and works for family even when it is hurting her back.

What is stopping her from putting her foot down and ending it?Why accept exploitation from a person/family that doesn't care about her?

7. aniya

aniya Senior IL'ite

Rest family members are paid salary full time including another member who works part time is also paid. Profits are distributed equally. Company is doing very well as of now. Full investment is of one member though in not sure how that would effect the situation. I take care of a very critical part but not paid as i earn salary elsewhere so no need as per them.

8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Then that is certainly not right! You would be justified if you were to extricate yourself from these unpaid obligations, although that is easier said than done.

Are you at least a part of the profit-sharing plan?

Does your husband work for the family business? Can a generous compensation for him be justified as part of 'your' compensation?

I asked about the investment part because the founder / major investor generally has a stronger vote in any decision-making - justifiably so, since, success notwithstanding, the original risk was all his / hers.

Note that as a paid employee, you would be giving them extra leverage over you as well.

1 person likes this.
  9. aniya

aniya Senior IL'ite

@sokanasanah -not getting any profit share, husband getting equal to other brothers so nothing more. Yes agree the major investor is the decision maker, he doesnt feel need to be paid as already earning and noone including husband is supporting. All making it sound as though i am super greedy for money, noone is appreciating me at all.

@yellowmango -was expecting to be paid ...was waiting and waiting but guess thats not gong to happen, have stopped for now.

Except for one all have commented that any work done needs to be paid and not to confuse family relations and business, so i guess i am right. The worst part is hubby making me feel that i am wrong and how i overlooked how in laws have helped us etc, but we cant link the two, someone pls explain to him!!

10. sanskruthi

sanskruthi Silver IL'ite

@aniya if anyone says you are greedy, they are completely wrong. A greedy person wont help even part time, without any compensation. They would make it clear before starting work only. You have done the work till now without waiting for compensation, showed them your willingness to work and then asked for the payment. This is a genuine approach on your part. How come anyone can blame you as being greedy? dont let anyone take you for granted.