1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A question

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Blissfulworld, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Blissfulworld

Blissfulworld New IL'ite

Hi there,
    I am a male in my early thirties. I got engaged very recently . I have got premature greying from my father's side and around 15% of my hair has turned grey. I have hid this from my girl. I wanted to tell her about this before engagement and let her decide whether to go forward or not. But I liked the girl very much and also my parents and my cousin who arranged the marriage for me didnt feel I should. They felt that whats important to a marriage is love and affection and that the girl will look beyond trivial things like these after sometime. I really wanted to tell her but I didnt want to jeopardize my engagement. My mom accepted my dad. So ...

Apart from this one issue over which I dont have any control over, I dont have any baggage. I mean I dont smoke, I dont drink . Healthy guy who frequents the gym regulalry, fit and muscular and most importanly never been in a prior relationship whatsoever. I mean I am old school and waited for marriage not giving into temptations.

So we have had our engagment and I covered my grey at that time. I am back in UK and everytime she asks for a selfie my heart skips a beat. I mean the cut hairs are beginning to grow up and I could spot a streak of grey here and there. I cant be dyeing my hair week in and week out. This is making me become restless at night. I am beginning to worry how she might react if she comes to know about this.

I know every single girl is different and the opinion I get from here might not in fact reflect the general consensus of Indian girls. But I would still like to hear what you people have got to say. Thanks.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Ideal: you say before engmnt.
    Now: be honest, likely she wont mind at all. If she does, u will get to know how shallow she is, and then u can take decision. Likely not an issue at all.

3 people like this.
  3. Blissfulworld

Blissfulworld New IL'ite

Ragini25, thank you for your thoughts.

4. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

well .. it may be trivial if one can see the big picture ... but nevertheless it hurts...

I faced a similar situation in my marriage and figured it out myself later (a very trivial matter) ... it did hurt me and till today it hurts (I am married for 13 years now)

Now reading this, on a hindsight I feel I would have taken it better if my DH had revealed it himself

Do not delay telling her... I doubt it will now break the engagement or any such..

Longer term... its important for both of you to be as open as possible with each other... Trust is the foundation of marriage..

Each couple is unique and their chemistry, needs & wants from the relationship is unique.. appreciate this basic principle...

why can't my wife do somethinge when my mom could do the same happily... notdonesmileynotdonesmiley
    you are entering a danger zone here... just watch out...

two reasons

1) you future wife is a unique, independed "individual"
    2) Your mom being a mom will not reveal how "pissed off" she was with your dad for those millions of trivial things... that's her business with her husband..

all nice, well meaning people around you... appreciate their thoughts and help ... but its just about time I think you start having your own "principles" (I am referring here specifically to the way you deal with your married life and not any other aspect of "principle")

I think your girl would like it better if you say "I lied because I liked / loved you to the core at first sight" and stand your ground there than add anyone else's views / justification...don't even go near good heart and stuff...

Sorry for the rant... when I started writing I did not expect to end up writing such a long post...

Good luck with your confession...do not worry.. things will fall in place and my advance wishes for a blissful married life

6 people like this.
  5. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

s be honest n say now to her she wont mind because many of them have this problem. k then u can make u'r grey hair into black for long time only using henna mixed with fenigreek seeds, hybiscous soak then in thriphala juice for 3hrs.

thriphala juice soak thriphala whole in water for 4hrs.

use dis henna paste for once in 3 r 4days fist one months after that use weekly once .

gradually it will reduce.

1 person likes this.
  6. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Now, that was a poor decision.

That is such a subtle way of arm-twisting the girl. She must surely wonder what else you are hiding now, and you will need to build trust all over again.

This is the most terrible statement in your entire post.

This is the endearing part which you should have led with in the first place. A girl who is not shallow would have seen and appreciated this if your were honest in the first place.

Then why would you ever expect your fiancee to behave like your mother??

1. Be honest now. As soon as possible. If she breaks the engagement, because of this one reason, then take it like a man. You can brand her shallow, and move on.

2. While talking to her, NEVER mention your mom's reaction. Or, "cousin told me to hide it". Or, "should look beyond such trivial things".
    She is her own person, and can react the exact way she wants to.

3. And really, grey hair is not a deal breaker, atleast for me. So go ahead and tell her.

Wish you all the best. Hopefully we will be wishing you for your wedding soon.

3 people like this.
  7. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Tell her. Show tamil actor Ajith's or George Clooney's pictures and joke that 5 years from now, this is what you would look like. Don't get all serious and tell her as if you are guilty for hiding something. Throw some humor in it.

3 people like this.
  8. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

To be honest, no girl with a little bit of maturity will break up an engagement because of a little white hair. My DH was partially bald before marriage and I had no issues.
    Be matter-of-fact, be frank about it. You committed a small mistake, not a crime. She will understand. Best of Luck

3 people like this.
  9. MLP1

MLP1 Silver IL'ite

I don't think coloring hair is hiding the truth or lying, since everybody does stuff to look good. If coloring hair is hiding the truth, so is wearing makeup in my opinion. I think you should go ahead and send the girl your selfie. If she is even slightly mature, she will overlook the grey hair.

Also, now is the time for you to take precautions to prevent further greying, rather than blaming it on hereditary factors. Consult with an ayurvedic doctor and use ayurvedic oil regularly.

Good luck with your future and wishing you a happy married life!

2 people like this.
  10. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Some times it is better to tell the truth to ur fiancée so that the problem ends there itself.There are so many beautiful girls in the world. Further Beauty is skin deep only.
    However as u got married. pl tell her the fact. You have to face the reaction not with anger or revenge but softly.She may not take it seriously at all.
    There are so many remedies for grey hair. or you may dye ur hair by selecting proper dye as health is more important than colour of hair. Wish u all the Best! As u are young don't waste ur valuable time in petty things like this.there is so much to achieve in Life. venlax
    " the woods are lovely ,Dark & Deep, but I have promises to Keep, & miles to go before I sleep"

2 people like this.