1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband addicted to Computer

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by helpmeplz, Dec 19, 2015.

1. helpmeplz

helpmeplz Junior IL'ite

Recently my husband when ever he is free at home , he is been sticking to internet and computer , spends less time with me or my daughter ,
    he does browse thousand of things
    Starting from movies , immigration , international news , business and stuff , he keeps reading and stuff
    and every day he comes up with new idea about business and money investment and than scratches it off

and even when we go out shopping , he carries his phone and watches some thing or other in internet

this is driving me nuts , how to stop this

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Some DHs are also probably bemoaning that DWs are addicted to facebook, whatsapp, browsing, IL forums etc. Sign of times lol

1 person likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some of these online places have resident class monitors.

3 people like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is a malaise of our times. It really is an addiction, so you can imagine how difficult it will be to get him to wean off it. The only fruitful approach is calm, tactful communication. Tell him that you understand he has important things to do (lie and smile while you do it), and that he should have his leisure time, but you need some undivided couples-time too. Try to suggest a screen free time or zone that works for him.

Start small and build from there. Ask for a few hours every weekend, or one activity without screens, or one room in the house where no screens are allowed. In our case our bedroom is a screen free zone. We don't bring electronics into our bed. No lying down with phones, tablets etc. Sometimes we do screen free Saturdays, with only TV allowed. You can find similar arrangements that work for both of you. Plan outings, invite friends over, go shopping, cook together, take a walk, simple things that force him to lay off his devices.

Key is to avoid nagging. Don't escalate the situation if he doesn't respond right away. Baby steps will get you there. Calmly and patiently, keep sending the message loud and clear, "Let's make time for each other."

1 person likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ragini, if you need to have monologues with your inner-self, why not do it offline? Isn't that your mantra?

6 people like this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Wasnt a monologue.

7. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@op

i faced the same issue .. No matter what I couldn't change this addiction ..

But these days am sending baby to him ( I already told her when daddy opens laptop ask him to close n play with u ) .. I may be wrong but did worked .. He stops atleast for sometimes n plays with her ..

but when he has office work at home too she closes laptop n asks play with me .. I know it's my mistake but I will handle at that time ..

just plan for some games r teaching something to baby ( ask DH to teach math or tell her stories ) politely handover baby to DH ( I don't know what's ur kids age ) ..watch tv together any show or movie .. ask for some help in cooking or taking care of kid ..

1 person likes this.
  8. santoshini

santoshini Silver IL'ite

Break the laptop and his cellphone, just kidding.
    This complaint has become so common these days ,i agree witj lakshmipav best thing is see that he spends some time with your daughter,
    Put a reminder that its time you both need to spend some quality time togather but dont go on nagging as it only worsens the situation.
    Refresh your memory,think over what his favourite passtime is except for that blessed browsing and try to divert him.
    Do Tell me if it works out
    Good luck

9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

And among both male AND female genders