1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Very worried about 7.5 yr old (tics and tourettes)

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by momto2kids, Oct 4, 2012.

1. vaishali13

vaishali13 New IL'ite

Hi nnsa,
    hope everything is well with your little girl. How is she doing now? I am a mum too going through similar situation and trying to find some help. Please let me know if anything worked for you.
    Thanks a lot, anticipating a reply soon.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Your “ hi” today in your profile in IL brought me TO THIS maiden POST .
    I had gone through entire thread with concern.
    Some eleven Years before you posted about the issue you face with your DS.
    NOW he is around 18. Wish to know how he is now? Did you subject him to any treatment or tried homeopathy! Few respondents here too reported faced such problems. How have they dealt with?
    Do you hv any reason to believe those ticks to do with growth i mean getting tall!
    Regards.
    God bless your family and you.

3. iammom

iammom New IL'ite

Hi, I know this thread is old but I wanted to post anyway of my findings and how it reduced tics my kid naturally. I am not a doctor - just a worried mom like you all and ready to do anything as long as it was a natural remedy.

My kid recently had head tics, eye twitches and few others. Sometimes she does it all at once. We took her to the neurologist and he as usual gave a high dose BP medication that said may help but he was not sure. I did not want to give her an medicines unnecessarily and began looking for any natural cures. I found that once tics and Tourette's begin, they wax and wane from time to time and there is no cure.

My internet research showed that Magnesium really helps. I started her on Magnesium citrate first. Her head tics subsided drastically. She would still do it but the frequency reduced. I gave her about 400Mg a day. 2 kid gummies in the morning and 2 kid gummies in the evening. This is along with a multi vitamin in the afternoon. I also stopped Chocolates, sugar, processed foods and gave her fruits and vegetables. I also found that gut health is usually the cause of tics to some extent. So, if your child is suffering from constipation, give leafy vegetables and things that would clear the gut. Also, viruses like strep and candida can also cause tics. Check for those as well. I did not check my kid's Magnesium levels when I started this but if you can check the levels before you begin.

Even with the above remedy, my kid would still do the head tic. I was ok with other tics but not the head tic since it caused her to be dizzy. So,I started her on Magnesium gluconate dihydrate by Floradix Salus brand. This helped the tics subside a little more. I gave 10 ml in the morning and 10ml in the evening. I have not seen any side effects so far and I pray there are none. The only thing I know - it may cause diahrea and nausiea if you give too much magnesium.

She still has the tics and I am still looking for a cure. I really hope this post helps any mom who is going through this terrible phase.

Best Wishes,
    Iammom