1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Very worried about 7.5 yr old (tics and tourettes)

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by momto2kids, Oct 4, 2012.

1. momto2kids

momto2kids New IL'ite

Hi,

My son is 7.5 year old and is in 2nd grade. When he was 3.5 years old he suddenly started having facial tics. At first we we panicked as we had no clue what was going on. we went to a neurologist and learned a little about it and that it doesnt have a cure. From then on just as the neurologist said, the tics have been coming and going. in the past 4 years my son had atleast 25 different types of tics (some vocal) within the face, shoulders, neck, hands, clothes.

we keep going back to the neurologist when the condition seems severe but always come back with the same outcome. he says that he may outgrow them. if the tics are so bad and if we want then he can prescribe medicines but to supress them but they have side effect that will make him tired and drowsy etc. me and my husband are not eager to start medication for him. yes the tics are bad, he has multiple tics and they occur between 10-80 times a minute, but he is atleast going through his daily routine. we just didnt want to start medicines.

He is otherwise an average kid. He is active, is friendly with other kids. he does realise that he is doing it, when other are not. I explained it to him kind of like how allergies bother soe kids, it the same with him. And if someone asks him about it, just tell that i have allergies. So far he does not seem to care that much about them. He was born healthy, 9 lbs, he is not 52lbs (25% in wt) ( 50 % in ht). He is above average in school. But not involved much in sports.

Looking up on the internet , it seems that tics and tourettes are common. But I have not met another kid that does this. Atleast i did not notice. just wanted to reach out if any one here knows here and what works or any advice will greatly help. i feel helpless and it rips my heart when he sometimes says his face/ eyes hurts badly at the end of the day.

I have a few other concerns about him. He needs to have someone by his side at all times. He is scared of something. even during the day time. he cannot stay in a room all by himself. Even in the same room he canot go more than 6 feet away from me. It is turning into a big problem for me. I give him homework on the breakfast table and work in the kitchen, he swiftly gets up and comes with me. I have a 3 yr old son as well. my older takes him for company if he has to use bath room etc..
    sometimes he stays by himself in a closet, or pantry or such small enclosed places. but somehow he cannot in bigger rooms. He goes out side by himself though, he feels safe outside.
    my younger one is the total opposite, he walks into a dark room with no lights and gets what he wants. I asked my older one what is he scared of? he says what if the power goes off and such answers. I just felt i should talk to someone.
    sorry for the going on and on. Thanks a lot for reading, anyone kindly advise..

--very worried mom.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    There probably is a support group near you where you can get more info to help him. As far as the anxiety related issues, try to find a good counselor. Kids really benefit from talking to an outsider (even if they give the same advice as a family member)-talk to the school and see if they give you referrals. One other thing to keep in mind, when your son does meet up with a counselor, try to gauge his comfort level after a couple of sessions. Sometimes kids stick with a counselor even if they don't have rapport with the person because they don't realize that they can change to a different person. Without trust or a rapport, he will not benefit much from seeing a counselor.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. pihoousa

pihoousa Senior IL'ite

very sad to hear that but my mom was telling me homeopathy has cure for everything all diseases why dont u try one of those one of my frnd brings homeopathy medicine from india for some incurable disease that her daughter has here docs said no cure but she is releived from homeopathy it is some other abdominal diasease.

Trying doesnt hurt!!!try homeopathy one store here in edison,nj too ph no is 732-428-5289 i just never been there but saw some ads..

5. momto2kids

momto2kids New IL'ite

Thanks for the advice. It never thought of counselling , but i will try it.

6. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

OP, coincidentally i just watched a tourettes documentary on PBS made by a teen who has this syndrome: 'different is the new normal'. while it does not cover any treatments, it expresses a very hopeful and positive outlook. often tourettes is co-morbid with other conditions like OCD, anxiety. if you search on the web for tourettes natural treatments +forums, you will find others discussing what they have tried and what has helped.

i hope you find something that helps. Goodluck!

7. nnsa

nnsa New IL'ite

Hi,

I have 5 1/2 yr old daughter who started for first time with episode of tics( head jerks) and muscle spasms in Feb 2013 which lasted for 2- 3 weeks and now had second episode with severe frequent head jerks with added shoulder shrugs, followed by few other symptoms like light headed,stomach discomfort etc,and just found out from neurologist that she has tics and might outgrow it, but if it gets worse can be put on medication but again it has sideeffects.She exactly has same problem like ur son,she needs to have someone by her side to even step few feet away at home,gets very emotional at times even getting into melt downs and explosive behaviour that at time gets uncontrolable,she sits crying at corners repeatedly complaining on little things when i was not by her side.I have 1 /2 yr old too whom she takes along to accompnay her when she wants to go around at home.We have been asked by her pediatrist and neurologist to see psyhcologist for her behavioual issues.I have spent sleepless nights in past weeks when i kind of began to learn that my child is getting this again and wud get it henceforth wheneever she gets triggered with stress/tired/anxiety.Its so painful to watch her suddenly having 10- 15 head jerks every minute sometimes followed by tiredness or light headed.i am worried this might be her problem for ever and interfere with her school and social life.I can exactly relate my problem one is to one with that of your son.Would really feel relaxed with experience of any other mom's with similar issue with their child and on any positive progress in their child tics as time passed by

8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@nnsa
    One way to decrease and optimally eliminate tics is to help the child realize that nothing bad will come if he or she does not act on the premonitory urge. Some children mention holding back their tics at time (usually to avoid embarrassment) .Niw it is proven by researchers that while tics may be of an involuntary nature they may be voluntarily suppressed. When the child feels the premonitory urge they can make a game out of how long they can go each time without having the tic action.i heard breathing techniques help and so does refocusing to a preferred task or activity.A medication called omega3 (take only after it is prescribed) also suppresses tics.
    Try this link
    http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ts.html

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I had no idea what a tic is but did a quick research. You've to your darlings.
    From the little I understand of this, looks like with time this will go away? Most of the articles I see say that they tend to go away. They are saying that its perfectly ok not to try to control the urge to move. Is your 7 year old trying to hold the tic? If yes, see if it helps if she can try to let it go the moment she has the urge.

Sorry..not sure how helpful my comment was.

10. vaishali13

vaishali13 New IL'ite

Hi momto2kids,

How is your son doing now? Unfortunately I too am facing the same problem and would like to know if there was anything that helped.
    Thanks , looking forward to your reply.