how to get a part time job in UK if u hv dependent visa?

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Cokeela, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Cokeela

Cokeela New IL'ite

Hi,

I live in Northern Ireland and would like to know how to get a part time job preferably in Sainsbury or Tesco or other super markets. Its not only for that extra bit of income which helps me economically but also love that job as I get to interact with people on everyday basis............:wave:

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Cokeela:

I have not tried to be in employment in the UK, however this is what I am aware of. You can directly approach the store you want to work in for any openings. They will have application forms and filling in the forms is where would start. You could also register yourself with the local Job centre in the council but if it is Siansbury or Tesco that you want to work at - I don't know how that would help. So directly approaching the stores would help I presume.

You would later need a National Insurance Id (NID) for which you would have to go to the local council office. This is for contributions towards pension, etc similar to Provident fund in India.

Check this site for further information.
    Pre-employment checks : Directgov - Employment

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

3. Rajehari

Rajehari New IL'ite

Hi Cokeela

I think you should have a 'dependent work permit' visa to work in UK. If you have it just approach the store where you could find all informations about vacancies displayed and even you cud find application forms. You just have to fill it and give it back. If not you can approach customer service section and ask about vacancy information.

4. Sunflower143

Sunflower143 New IL'ite

Hi Cokeela,
    If u want to work in Sainsburys,Tesco etc..u can directly apply through their sites..

5. masalvadai

masalvadai New IL'ite

These days it is very competitive to get these jobs too...

6. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Do you have an insurance number if so you should Be ok.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. JazzyJazz

JazzyJazz Silver IL'ite

Heres how it works. I know this question was asked long long ago but I am writing this for the benefit of others.
    I worked in sainsburys for 2 weeks.

You would need the following:
    1) NI Number - Search for your location Job centre plus's number, they will atke the details and then mail you a form, fill it and mail it back across, it took abt 2-3 weeks post this to get the NI number.

2) Bank Account: Pls ensure you hv a bank account as this is something very vital. Mind you, your hubby's cannot be given.

3) Utility Bills: To even have a bank account, you need some utility bills to prove your proof of address. It could be your council tax bill, Telephone bill, gas bill, etc.
    I didn't have many as all were in husband's name and faced many issues. Some banks also want to ensure your visa has a minimum of 6 months validity on it(HSBC did) where as RBS didnt bother.
    One good thing I did was register in the electoral register which had come by post so bank fols could look up my name using my name and address and accepted that as a proof.

Now to applying for any supermarket. Please go to their online portal, register yourself and then look out for the right kind of job, location, shifts, number of hours you can work and then apply.
    The mistake I did here was I so badly wanted to work so took up a weekend plus shift which ended at midnight and got into arguments wid my hubby s he is from a conservative family and moreover it was like week days he would work and weekends I would work so we didn't hv quality time for each other. And you cannot change ur days/timings/hrs unless you have a big time medical condition so don't join thinking we can make them change it later.

Even when you're applying for the job online you'll have many questions that could eb answered. If you clear that you would get a message to your mobile asking you to call them(HR)

Telephonic is a 20 min round, they'll go thru ur basic info and then again ask some usual HR questions like why this company? Why Retail job? Tell us a situation where you showed exceptional cust service, etc, etc.

Post this after a week I again received a message as well as mail saying I am selected and had another direct HR interview at the store where I had applied. I again was given some 3 questions and some 15 mins to ponder and answer. Then another week for them to announce that I am through.

Then 1 day of induction and then on to your store. I had applied for Customer Service Assistant.

If you're not used to working a lot(like me ;-) ), as in lifting huge milk cans, boxes, moving things, etc then pls don't take it up or make sure you apply for a super market. At the local convenience stores and all you'll hv a real hard time.

I was a software engg before this so had a terrible time. Day 1 I was completely at the tills billing customers and came back with a sore neck, Day 2- they gave me other store jobs and came back with my hands all pink and sore, not to mention I lost 2-3 kgs in the 2 weeks and I worked just part time - 24 hrs per week. :)

So I resigned considering all the factors - Nature of work, Time with husband, safety, etc.
    Good thing abt this was I got back d confidence that I can work and survive even in a Foreign country and when I was roaming arnd getting a bank accnt, NI number, job and stuff I hardly took my hubby's help and thats when he realized that I was a strong woman :) Till then he used to think that I knew nothing ;-)

8. Ranganath

Ranganath New IL'ite

Dear Madam, is it possible to get a Accountant job in U.K. I am working as an accountant in Bangalore. I know nothig about U.K. please give me a reply is it possible to go there and work for a indian person.

please please reply me

9. JazzyJazz

JazzyJazz Silver IL'ite

I am not sure of an Accountant Job, sorry. Probably depends on which Visa are you in? I hope the person who is making this offer should be able to explain things further.