Acceptance of Indians by British

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Indian_Rani, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Indian_Rani

Indian_Rani Junior IL'ite

I want to ask, how is it mingling with Britsih or Non indians in the UK? I hear quite a bit about racism in UK. Do you have English friends and are people accepting? I am thinking of living there for a year.

I live in the USA and in my town, as long as you dont act too 'foreign' and open to other cultures, it is easy to make friends. I have tons of friends who arent Indians. People are actually fascinated by outsiders. Of course, occasionally I run into a few racist ignorant fools but can deal with them.

Here, I have seen a few Indians who complain about racism but when u look at them they are the types that dont talk to Non-indians, make shallow judgements about Americans and constantly complain. I heard a person complain about Indians being discriminated and the next moment I hear him make a racist joke about Hispanics... For these types its no surprise why they cant get along with Americans.

I have been fascinated by British culture and wonder how the UK is like especially as an Indian.

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Rani:

I have been in the UK for over 1.5 years now and I have not seen any direct incidents of racism. But my cousin was here in the late 70s and she used to mention that she experienced racism (verbal remarks) quite a few times. Of late, the place I heard of racism was in the Scouts - brownies group - girls/ boys of other origins are not really included whole heartedly in the group's activities. But this was so subtle that it was hard to tell!

All I can say is times have changed and so have the people. There are always bad apples, but you just have to cast them away.

The British by and large are very courteous people and sometimes you find them quite apologetic. Initially, it takes a while to get used to them especially if you have lived in the US earlier. They can be quite prim and proper! But so far, I have seen them to be very nice and friendly people.

Sindhu

3. Indian_Rani

Indian_Rani Junior IL'ite

One of my literature professors is a British man and he is very prim and proper. At first many of us found his prim and proper mannerisms quite amusing. OMG we laughed at him behind his back.

Wow, sounds almost like the US. Here before the 1960's it was acceptable and legal to have segregated public bathrooms - one for whites and one for colored peoples, busses etc.

Is it difficult to make friends with British people? I heard that they tend to be more reserved. is that true?

I have tons of American friends.

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

I used to find their prim and proper ways quite frustrating and sometimes amusing.

The Brits are friendly as friendly as you are with them.

Sindhu

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi rani and sindhu,
    as far as my experience goes,british people are friendly if you want to be friendly with them.otherwise also they always have a smile for you even if you don't know them.
    regards
    pavi

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Very true, Pavi. The Brits are very courteous. When you pass them by, they either wish you (this is especially true with the older generation) or smile.

Sindhu

7. Rajehari

Rajehari New IL'ite

I agree that elder people are too courteous.But this is different with younger generations especially teens. They used to utter bad words and even I have heard some incidences where Indians got beaten by these people. We used to be away from teens always.

8. synonm

synonm New IL'ite

I would say the English people appear to be bit more reserved and less outgoing in nature than the Americans. For e.g if you walk into boutique in LA, you would probably find someone with a bubbly face saying "hiya how are you doing ?" where as in Britain it is most probably going to be a stiff upper lip greeting saying "Hello! Good morning/afternoon". On the other hand, I feel Brits are far more helpful than the Americans, if approached in the right manner.

Racist incidents are of course there so far we have never encountered any in the last 4
    years of life here but have heard many people narrating their bitter experiences. I must also say that we desis knowingly or unknowingly advertise attitude, fear and perceptions on our faces when we are out and about in the public and I suspect sometimes the racist incidents are triggered partly because of that ?.

In US, where people work late till 7.30-8 and drive hours to get back home it is indeed very different In Britain. There is strong after-work hour culture on weekdays (most people leave offices at 5pm dot even is there is 2 hour drive). In order to blend and make like minded friends you have to find and be a part of such after-hour activities. E.g playing or be a part of common events, pub/social/library events activities etc.
    In my view, best place to meet new people and make friends are at the pubs and the etiquettes in pub are totally different (very casual )

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008