Can I Take Antibiotics During Pregnancy !

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by shalusaini, Jul 15, 2008.

1. shalusaini

shalusaini New IL'ite

Hi,
    i m 9 weeks pregnant and i have been told that i hav urine infection. doctor hav advised me antibiotics for this. but i m not sure if i can take them.
    in last one month my water intake is reduced because i feel like throwing up every time i drink anything. now i m trying to take water more often .
    when my son was born 2 years back , after one week of his birth i was diagonised with PUS CELLS in urine. at that time also it took 5-6 months to completely vanish. but here docs do not clearly tell anything and i m worried. my husband is also not sure that i should take antibiotics.
    help me:confused2:

shalu

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I was diagnosed with urinary tract infection (enterococcus) around 38th week of pregnancy and was on relatively high dosage of antibiotics for a week. I checked at the pharmacy before taking the medicine. She said it was very important to avoid infection in the baby as well. Trust your doctor and go ahead.

Latha

3. Hi shalusaini,
    I also faced the same problem at 8th month. I also took lot of antiboitics which is compalsory. i think you should trust the doctor and go ahead as latha told. If you got urinary infection drink lot of water and liquid diet. this will be useful to cure eagerly.

Cheers,
    Padmaja.

4. Sri09

Sri09 Senior IL'ite

Hi

Even I had UTI (E. coli) during first trimester. They put me on Ampicillin high dose for a week. You should follow doctor`s advise. I am in third trimester now. They check my urine every two weeks now as I had infection during first trimester.

Drink plenty of water. Dont resist urge to urinate. Maintain good hygiene. Check with Doctor for measures.

Sri

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  5. shalusaini

shalusaini New IL'ite

Thank u Sri , Padmaja, Latha for ur reply. i will start with antibiotics as soon as possible .
    one more thing .....
    this is my 9th week but i feel like my stomach is 5 months. i do not why but i feel it is much bigger then what it should be. my husband also think this way. i hav appointment with doc nxt week. does this mean i can have twins:hide:.

shalu

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Even I had an UTI in my first trisemester and i took the antibiotics that the doctor had prescribed.It is safe to take the prescribed antibiotics so that the infection doesn't harm the fetus.

7. Priya123

Priya123 New IL'ite

HI,

Hey shalushaini, I am just going through same feeling which you had gone through.i have been asked to take antibiotics now and i am in second trimester.Is that fine? Baby is normal and healthy?

Thanks,
    Priya

8. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Antibiotics taken under a Doctor's supervision and prescription is safe during any trimester of pregnancy.

A few antibiotics are harmful for the pregnant mother, because it can harm the baby inside the womb. Examples of such harmful antibiotics are Doxycyline and Ciprofloxacin. These two are very commonly prescribed antibiotics for common illnesses , but if a pregnant mother takes it, it is very harmful.

Your Doctors must be knowing which antibiotic is safe while in pregnancy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014