Easy Recipes for Convection Oven

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rihana, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Amica likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My general rule is to toss vegetables with EVOO and salt, and roast at 400-450F for about 20-25 min. Make sure the veggies are in a single layer so they roast evenly, and turn them once or twice.
    Rachael Ray has a good recipe for poblano chili cheese fries.
    My favorite is cauliflower. Just rub with oil, a bit of turmeric, cayenne pepper and add a couple of green chilies halfway through. Also garlic if desired. Serve with a squeeze of lemon. I also use the roasted cauliflower in pulao and sabji for a richer flavor.
    Another Western variation is to toss the roasted cauliflower with sharp cheddar cheese and smoked Spanish paprika, topped with either fresh rosemary or chives.
    We also do roasted root vegetables: golden beets, parsnips, butternut squash. Fingerling or new potatoes with rosemary. Green beans roasted with EVOO and dressed with lemon. Brussels sprouts also taste good this way.
    We roast carrots with thyme and drizzled with some honey or maple syrup.
    Another favorite is to slice sweet potatoes like thick cut fries. I then roast them till crisp, and serve with homemade aioli and Trader Joe's roasted garlic BBQ Sriracha sauce. This is always a big hit.
    Most of my oven adventures are inspired by Andrea Chesman's 'The Roasted Vegetable' cookbook.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Thanks Malstrom. Was looking for tips like this. Looked up the Andrea Chesman book in amazon - it seems to have a no-nonsense style and does not ask for elaborate ingredients. Will get it.

I am new to this oven for vegetables thing. Used it solely for non-veg after a few disastrous forays with brinjals. So much so that had to look EVOO meant extra-virgin olive oil. : ) Funny given I do have one huge bottle always at home. : )

Got into this trying convection oven for vegetables after eating to-die-for asparagus at a friend's place.

The bhindi recipe tashidelek posted comes out great. I tried it with a small amount - 12-15 bhindis, and ended up polishing off the stuff when 'tasting' : )

1 person likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  5. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Baked potato slices stacked in pie tray with salt and pepper is very tasty. Bake on 375 for 45-50 mins or till done. Use evoo or any oil for that matter.

Baby carrots roasted makes very tasty side dish. Make veg au gratin, ratatouille, zucchini lasagna, etc. You can also try making tandoori aloo. Roasted sweet potatoes, roasted pumpkin soup.

For snacks try baked crunch chickpeas, or other lentils and even pulses. General rule of thumb is to have temperature between 375-400. And check for done.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana my favorite roasting is roasting butter nut squash, Garlic, Onions and carrots with oil, salt and pepper and grinding them for soup. I do that same for tomato soup... Yum yum !

@Malstorm I have heard that the nutrition of EVOO Is lost when heated I have stopped using it while cooking and just for salads. Heating in Oven is ok?

1 person likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Oven should be OK. We also use it for sauteeing, just not for deep frying.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

I am a convert. It is a great book. French beans + EVOO at 450F for 25 minutes. Some salt and serve hot. What can I say! yumsmiley

Think back to all those hours chopping beans, and even pressure cooking to save time before cooking in pan with usual masalas. And now just salt!

The book is really good. Wish i had it when wondering what to make for vegetarian friends invited to barbecues - one grill, mixing meat with veges... Also thinking back to one friend's parties - she used to have multiple dishes, and just took them out casually from the oven, looking cool as a duck and not like slaved away all day at the oven...

crowning glory was kid saw dad chopping okra for baking, and said, 'Umm.. can you chop it like amma, and not big pieces' :)

Amica and MalStrom like this.