Menu plan

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by magicworld, Nov 20, 2015.

1. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

Thinking what to cook is a big headache for many women. Let's share some easy and interesting ways to plan our everyday menu here.

2. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

This is what I do, after grocery shopping I take a paper and note down all the veggies and bread or batter I have in my fridge . then each day I write down what to cook for lunch and dinner based on what veggie I need to finish fast to avoid spoilage. Also days when I have a busy schedule or not feeling well I make something easy like veg pulav etc.
    Then I stick this paper on my fridge with a magnet and refer every night so that I know what I will be cooking next day.

2 people like this.
  3. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Nice idea. I always thought about this plan but never executed. End up with throwing vegetables in trash.

4. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

Once we get a feel for it becomes easy and helpful.Nirmala please give ita try.

5. Madhukmitha

Madhukmitha New IL'ite

Good idea... i do the same..and even i use to get vegetables what i need to cook for a week...that saves more money...other than getting all vegetables...what all we look. its really tension-less to be pre planned.

1 person likes this.
  6. sophiedjenko

sophiedjenko Senior IL'ite

These are all really great ideas! The method that I use is to write down different groups like vegetables, eggs, cheese, bread, butter, spices etc. Then when I go to the supermarket I look for a product or different products in each of these groups. For example in spices I look for MDH or Everest masalas. When it comes to Cheese I look for Go cheese. When it comes to eggs and vegetables, I always look for fresh products. For butter I always go with Gowardhan or Mother Dairy though I usually prefer the former. In this way I am able to buy everything that I would need for my recipes and not miss out on any of the ingredients.

7. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

I plan my menu for the weak and buy vegetables accordingly..for example if i plan okra curry for the week,I buy 100-150gms only,so I finish up in the week.If i plan for dry poriyal i buy 250-300gms,so the quantity is also planned.I don't store vegetables for many days and make sure that I clean up the vegetable tray from fridge by the weekend.But I always stock up some vegetables like potato and carrots which comes in handy for emergency or unexpected menu plan.

Based on the life of the vegetable i prefer to make that as early as possible in that week.For example I prefer to make Broccali menu in the early days of the week as it gets mushy soon.

It might sound too pre-planned gigglingsmiley, but it works well,so that i don't waste vegetables.

1 person likes this.
  8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

i plan the menu like
    monday - mixed rice + spicy veg curry
    tuesday - keerai + koottu
    wednesday - dal sambar + veg curry
    thursday - variety rice + store bought chips
    friday - dal sambar + veg curry + pachadi
    saturday - milagu / pudina / kaara kuzambu + side dish

sunday according to kids choice.

this is my plan.

andal

9. ManaliSharma

ManaliSharma New IL'ite

Gather a stack of cookbooks that you think might be the most helpful, pull up some of your favourite cooking web sites, grab a pen and paper and settle into a nice comfy chair. Make a list of the people who will be joining you for the meal and note any dietary restrictions. You don't necessarily have to write this list out, but it can be help keep things organized. And when you're planning a menu, more organization means less stress. And less stress means a more enjoyable experience for the cook. Think about ingredients. What is in season right now? What do you already have in your pantry? Are there any ingredients that need to be used up soon?Choose your dishes and write out your menu. If you'd like, leave a little flexibility so you can choose a few ingredients as you shop. That's what I usually do.

1 person likes this.