1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Shikkai/Soapnuts concoction for month long use

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by Pritirach, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

I am trying to go natural for my hair.

Ahhh those childhood days when Sundays were hair care days with mom instructing not to open my eyes while pouring Soapnut water over my hair:cry:. Whereas all I wanted was fancy Shampoo like my friends.

Now give me any brand Shampoo and it is all same, HAirfall, itchiness and Dry hair.

Want to try shikakai/Reetha once again.stopped using Shampoo for 2 weeks and using Baking soda /Vinegar and must say, hair fall has come down drastically.So am convinced to go natural.(Hope mom doe not read this, she was so against those shampoos then:|)

Now Please help with storing of this shampoo(or hair wash liquid should I Say) for atleast a month.I cannot prepare fresh batch evrytime. I have to wash my hair atleast every other day and will forget doing all this boiling and straining in the mad morning rush.

All I want is a ready to use bottle in my bathroom replacing my shampoo bottle.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi As for as Reetha u just need to soak it in warm water previous night Next day squeeze Rita and stir till it froths n use it like u do shampoo
    Shikakay I used to use powder only just mix it with water n use the paste to clean hair

If u r preparing shampoo in different way then u can try making small quantity and store in fridge

1 person likes this.
  3. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vjbunny and Dhany. Should l get shikakai powder and store in my shower and make a paste then and there and use, is it?

Secondly i read somewhere that reetha is more drying than shikakai. I have curly dry hair, so better I Go for Shikakai.

1 person likes this.
  4. divshiri87

divshiri87 Gold IL'ite

hey pritirach,
    i am also like you who neglected rita and shikakai when i was child but now i am desperate using those. I am in hyderabad and here i am getting shikakai and rita in powdered form which is of more use. I am using this for 2-3 months and needless to say my hairfall reduced alot and dandruff also its getting reduced. No chemicals so no side effects.

1 person likes this.
  5. itzmelvk

itzmelvk Silver IL'ite

Can anyone advise me where I can get shikkai or Reeta powder in usa

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Pritiarch

I have moved to making my own hair wash powder for my dd, who does not have much time..

this is what i do. i just add hot water to the powder(3 tbslp) in the night and mix it and leave it. morning i just crush and strain and use it for her. it works well..

storing the mixture for long will bring fungus and added smells that are not great..

i have also given the combination i make it with here..
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...an-lunch-ideas-sans-rice-358.html#post3524949

1 person likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

I dont think it is possible to store for a month. Max you can store for a week, prepare once on sunday and use next 2 times since you wash so frequently, I think.

Though I want to ask why wash so frequently? With soap nut I wash my hair less frequently than I used to with shampoo. Somehow that limp greasy feeling and need to wash hair every 2-3 days is just not there with soapnuts. I wash weekly or maybe 2 X in a week max.

I am familiar with whole soap nuts and have used them for hair wash several times. But I have no clue how to use the powder form of shikakai or reetha. Can someone explain the procedure of what to do with the powdered soap nuts and powdered shikakai? @Shanvy your link has the recipe to make the powder but not how to use the powder. also Can you give english names for some ingredients?

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy
    Nice Oil recipe n soapnut recipe Thanks Shanvy can u let me know
    Whats Avaram poo? and poolan kizhangu?

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

@Pritirach
    Yo can mix Shikakai powder with Chigare pudi (arappu podi in tamizh) equal quantity and take req quantity add little waster to make paste like dosa batter bit thin and use this its quick use ...
    if your hair is dry my hair also dries like grass if ritha is used so i dnt use ritha

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame