1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrated with MIL related to my kid

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Pinku, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Pinku

Pinku New IL'ite

Hi B'ful ladies out thr,

I have been a silent reader of this forum since long.Today I am feeling very frustrated so want to vent up here also need ur valuable suggestions to handle situations :

I live in a joint family.one of BIL and SIL along with MIL lives with us. I have a DS who is nearly two.

I am a working lady and MIL takes care of kid when I am away.

My problem is that MIL is very dominating. She dont let me handle my kid the way I want. I have given up for most of the cases but for somethings our opinion obviously vary. Here are the examples:

1. Bathing soap of baby was finished and one day she made him bath with elder's soap. Next day I bought the soap and kept at the place still she is using elder's soap stating "he wont be able to adjust later if you keep on using mild things all the time." What the **** DH is too small to handle elders soaps. But she never listens.
    2. She makes him drink tea stating that will help him prevent cold and cough. Although she knows that me and my DH are true haters of tea. She does it wen we are away.
    3. Despite of being sunny day she will make him bath in lukewarm water because he may catch cold whereas I think opposite here I think his body should adjust.
    4. BIL and SIL calls DS with weird names that I dont like.. but despite of my disapproval they keep on doing that.

Although she takes good care of my kid but due to her dominance and such behaviour where she keeps on going against me I never feel comfortable with her. I could never praise her freely because she everytime taunts me.. "Todays girl's dont know anything they read on net and do things."

I have to live in joint family. DH will never go against his DM. She is a goddess to him. He loves me a lot but can not take a stand for me in front of his mother.

I am tensed as soon my kid will start schooling and then all these 3 will poke there nose.

Need suggestions on how to handle these situations. Nuclear family is not a option for me..

2. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

little adjustment is guru mantra for u.
    dear op she is taking good care of your son and think how much insecurities you must be having if instead of ur MIL u have ot leave him with maid??
    so i guess that it is but natural for your MIL to have some right on him and treat him on safer side. you have much time to make his body adjust with cold water. u can bathe him on sundays with cold water. and regarding soap so oi think u should convey ur message with help of hubby might be she will hear him.
    i dont see much problem dear. sometimes problem in reality is not much then in out thoughts.
    please dont take me otherwise but ask this question to urself..are those things more important than safety of your child (if he would have been with maid)
    relax...and ya regarding your BIL and SIL calling names so u can stop them immediately with firm voice..i dont think they will do this again

1 person likes this.
  3. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

If u dont like the way she takes care ..u take the control of ur son and u start taking care of him..for thing like bathing wid elders soap tea and cold water instead of asking her to do those u do..u bath ur son ..u feed ur son..n abt ur sil n bil calling weird names its a silly issue u cant make a big deal for that jus ignore ..

1 person likes this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

All the above don't seen problems at all . She is doing nothing to harm the baby. If she is primary care taker , let her handle things her way . When you are these at home take over care of baby and so it your way .

Bil and SIL calling weird names could be a concern but that will depend on the names being called . If you find it offensive get your husband to do the talking and let them know that it is not acceptable

2 people like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you ask MIL to look after your son, then you will have to accept that you give up control over the minute details which are important to you but not to her. She will do what she feels is right.
    The only thing that jumped out at me is that she is giving him tea. Is it OK for such a small child to have tea? As for calling your child silly names, try to shrug it off. If you react visibly they may continue just to tease you.
    If these things truly continue to bother you then you may want to consider a day care.

3 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP it doesn't really matter which soap she uses. If it bothers you...you can make some besan uptan and give her to use .
    Or you could get milder soap for everyone.

It doesn't really matter.

Regarding tea ....again if it is very small quantity once in a while...it doesn't matter .If she is given a mug full very often,in place of milk or other food...then get your husband to talk to her.

Regarding bil and sil calling him names,if they are not offensive,let it go. You call him by the name you want. If you find the names offensive,again tell husband.

The work that mil is doing for ds is hers now.Don't interfere unless it effects health or safety.
    As he grows,slowly take on more of his work.You can take over making his tiffin , taking him to school,teaching him ,taking him to park. Slowly you can increase your influence over him giving your mil the much needed rest too.

5 people like this.
  7. Maniya

Maniya Senior IL'ite

I can understand your feelings. But since you have married into a JF and not able to fight your nemeses, change your thinking. Thank your stars that you need not bother about child care in addition to going to office. And when you entrust something under anybody's care, it is always best to give full freedom and authority to the entrustee. Interfering will only create problems. For ex., if you entrust a job to your subordinate or some other person, you should trust that that person would do it to his or her best ability. He or she may not come up to your standards, but definitely they will do a good job acc to their competency. Here, the MIL is none other than ur son's Grand mother and not an outsider. She will have the same concern for him that she had for her own son (ur husband) when he was young. So don't worry. Accept her behaviour. If you feel that some of her actions are crass, then you can take it up through some other relatives or somone from ur MIL's side who is not closely disposed with her. As they say an enemy's enemy is your friend, that friend can come to your rescue in such matters. As regards, calling your son by offensive names by your BIL and SIL, you don't get worked up, but occasionally, (better through ur husband), you can convey your hurt feelings. But if they love him dearly, it is a bonus. Be possessive but not over possessive.

8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Pls try and live without your MIL taking care of kid. Once u go thro creche/daycare or maid - then you will realize a new level of whining and realize how good your MIL is. We will see how well you adjust with maid nanny service, you will come running to your MIL.

Short answer: stop whining. She is doing you a F.a.v.o.r.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pinku

Pinku New IL'ite

Thanks for making me realize that I need to change my mindset on this. Thanks everyone.

10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Good you realized. Thats great, best wishes.