1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kato,

You are really a woman and amother to admire.Getting a cycle repaired, when u could have bought her a fourth new one, is really something worth emulating.Yes this teaches her the vaile of things, and as u did well to take her to the orphans, she will know soon, that she is priviliged, to have parents, home and other luxuries, in comparison to the poor orphans.

You make us proud Kato.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  2. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

thank you sir:-D

3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

Thanks for this thread.
    Yes, I did not laugh for the second time for your thread ( the first being The Chennai tragedy). Though this is an old thread, I am reading it for the first time.

It is quite true that actually they are not at all allowed overseas to cane children either at home or in the school. Really difficult because of this to control kids. Yes over a certain age we have to stop these kind of actions, but as young kid in our culture we do it. However I still remember an Indian family with a single son, and when there was some kind of argument the boy had told the parents that "If you spank me I will call the police". Infact the parents were shocked. And in another instance in the same family when the father was just shouting at their son, the neighbour had called the police, who had come knocking at the door and left a warning for the parents. And their kid was just about 10 years old when this happened. Infact they teach in school the emergency number to be called if any such situation happens at home. My kids learnt it probably in year 1 itself. Though they did not talk like that kid, it was always quite hard to teach them without spanking, as a child.

We have to be really cautious in the way we teach kids overseas. I am kind of strict as far as kids education is concerned compared to my husband, but will always be flexible as well with regards to certain things. But we need to understand that the kids learn a lot from school. We can't help to overcome such things, but we teach moral values in our house. Having said that, I will know how I have helped my kids only later on in life, after they had grown up. Till that time, just do the job of good parenting and hope for the best. Hope they learn from us, as parents. One thing is for sure, that alcohol related stuff which that school boy did, could not be done inside my house atleast, as we both are teetotalers. But we can't prevent the same happening outside the house.

Regards,
    Vaidehi

4. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

@kamalji,you are so true. I don't have kids now, but whenever I see teenagers who are behaving badly, I think what my child will do at that age? How I will stop my child doing wrong things or putting themselves in unnecessary danger?

I used to be afraid of my parents I teens and I am still afraid of them. This fear is not bad, as because of this, I have always selected right choices (except few bunks to school terrace when not done homework).

Yes my parents were strict, I was never allowed to speak recklessly, go out without informing them every detail. But these restrictions were good for me.

Can't even imagine, how my DH and me will raise our child in this scenario of using freedom for wrong things? May God bless us with good skills of parenting!