1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting Advice - 2.3 Years Boy

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by prchitra, Sep 16, 2015.

1. prchitra

prchitra Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have 2.3 years son and i give small tasks to him like while i bring groceries.. (Putting pulse in box and keeping the soaps in the shelf..) and keeping his folded dress in his shelf(he carry 3-4 shirts and keep in shelf) and once he finish doing that.. i put Star/diamond/triangle in his hands as reward with help of a pen.. He will be very happy to do these..

my DH says why are you making him to work..don't give any work to him.. let him play.. we get in to argument due to this..

Girls.. pls let me know whether i am doing anything wrong..

1 person likes this.

2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Nothing Wrong Dear... Great Work.

There is a saying in a regional language : Chottayile sheelam chudala vare’
    What ever habits you teach children when there are in the cradle it will remain with them always.

3. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

Please carry on what you are doing, you are helping your child to build his skills, the Montessori way.

4. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

You are on the right track. V can only teach such small things at this age. My son is 2.5 yrs old, i started to train him to do things like keep t used tumblers on t kitchen counter or folded dress in his shelf. Even his shattered toys are put back in the place after playing.

My mil used to pity at first thn later she herself accepted tat in t future it ll b of grt help to him. So do not worry. Make ur hubby undstd the importance of it n encourage ur son in watevr he does. It ll motivate him to do things on his own.

5. prchitra

prchitra Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your support.. You all got me right..Montessori way..learning by play..

Basically.. My DH saw my SIL saying her kids.. (10 years and 6 Years) who came from USA.. recently for a visit.. "If they study its fine.. they don't need to do any work."( i used to ask those kids for helping me making roti (i know it wont come in proper roti form) and putting bed properly..switching off the light/fan/ac when no one is using.. - immediately my SIL used to say.. don't give them work.. i will do..even though the kids are willing to do..)

From that time.. my DH and MIL say.. see others how they are growing their kids.. not giving any work.. i get angry due to this..

6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Even my sil gives her sons lot of petty works to be done. Explain to them its for ur son's good. If tats not possible explain to ur son itself in a way tat makes him undstd. He ll take care of the rest like my son does.

All the best.

7. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

You are fine and doing the right thing. Continue teaching him these skills around the house and outside, that way he will learn that by taking care of himself and his surroundings he will be able to use these skills when he becomes an independent adult. It will teach him responsibility, accountability for his actions and also respect for his surroundings and other people.

Also doing these things are like play for them, they dont consider it as work at a young age and if they continue this then it will become normal for them and soon a routine.

My daughter is nearly 2 years old and will put clothes away in the drawer, unload the grocery bag for me, put items in the fridge, will put clothes in laundry area for washing and put plates/cup on kitchen counter after eating, she recently took my plate and put it on the counter without me asking....this really surprised me.

She also waters plants, tries to sweep and cleans up toys. Even when we go outside, she will put groceries in cart from the store or put tomatoes in a bag, she will give library card to librarian etc etc....think of it as if you are teaching your child a skill. Dont think of it as if your making him do work or a chore, but teaching him a skill or life lesson for the future.

Minkis

1 person likes this.
  8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

You are doing a great Job OP. There is absolutely no harm in making the kids help us in small small house chores..Not only getting help from them , you also give them rewards(in the form of stickers) which is definitely motivating for them..Keep up the good work :)

9. sum1

sum1 New IL'ite

You are doing good thing by giving him advice to do a bit of his work on his own. Although I never give my 3 year old daughter any work but she likes to do her tasks like wearing her own socks or pajamas, shoes or putting her dresses in wardrobe etc sometime so I encourage her by just saying very good or clapping and she is a bit independent which I think is good.

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good start. Maybe you can educate your DH about Montessori. Montessori is a great way of learning and it teaches the kid to be independent. Inculcating such a culture is a good start for your child's learning.