1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin D 1.25 MG Softgel related q's

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by tweenie27, Jan 4, 2008.

1. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hi all,
    I have been prescribed Vitamin d 1.25 mg tablets once a week for 12 weeks. my vitamin d level is "5" whereas the normal arrange is 40-100! Does anyone who is reading this, has had or has the same problem??! Please let me know.
    Also, i heard that vitamin D tablets or capsules may have negative effects on a person, or an unborn child as well.
    I also read that u should watch ur intake of vitamin D fortified foods, so that overdose can be avoided, or else it may have severe toxic effects! my doc didnt tell me any such thing in detail.

I do trust my doc, but still wanted advice from others about it. :coffee
    Thanks.

2. Dmajesty

Dmajesty New IL'ite

Hi!

My Dr. just prescribed the same thing for me. Vitamin D 1.25 mg for 12 weeks. However, they gave me 4 pills for a month first, then they will draw blood again to make sure that I still need that quantity/dose. My level was 18. I am sure that if we need the vitamin we should take it. too much vitamins w/o knowing if you need it or not is what's bad for you. Also, 1.25 mg is the equivalent of 50,000 IU.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. Dmajesty

Dmajesty New IL'ite

Hi!

My Dr. just prescribed the same thing for me. Vitamin D 1.25 mg for 12 weeks. However, they gave me 4 pills for a month first, then they will draw blood again to make sure that I still need that quantity/dose. My level was 18. I am sure that if we need the vitamin we should take it, too much vitamins w/o knowing if you need it or not is what's bad for you.

4. WB71452

WB71452 New IL'ite

I, too, just began a regimen of Vitamin D 1.25MG. I took the first of 8 pills (one pill a week for the next 8 weeks) 14 hours ago. I have a slight Vitamin D deficiency ... my D,25-OH D3 is 22; my d, 25-OH D2 is <4. I have ulcerative colitis, and about two hours ago began to have a little diarreha. I am a bit apprehensive about taking what seems to be an unusually high dose of this vitamin (50,000 IU I think). Have you had any side effects?

5. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

Thanks DMajesty for your reply, and Hi WB,

WB, though i was very apprehensive about taking the gels, but i guess it was ok. i finished dosage for 2 months. but honestly i didnt take it as regularly as prescribed. bonkso i might have finished it in a 3 month period i guess. (but u dont do that! ) Now i am going to get tested for levels next week, and see if there is any change. IF the levels are still lower, maybe the doc will prescribe me for another month. but dont worry, i think u should take it if prescribed. Unless u notice any serious side effect. then u should consult once with the doc and the pharmacist too...just to be double sure.
    problem is, it could lead to osteoporosis among other things if we neglect it. So i guess we should just trust and take it. Only that i want to get tested once again after having taken 8 pills in 3 months or so....before i take another round for a month. u can do it too.

6. saksak

saksak New IL'ite

I too was just prescribed Vitamin D 1.25 Softgel once a week x 12 weeks as well as an OTC Calcium + D supplement of 1200 MGs daily. I'm an otherwise healthy 22 year old female who was experiencing leg and foot cramps that kept me awake at night, hence... (Deficiency level of 15, btw.) Anyway, felt an immediate relief after taking this medication for the first 2 weeks but shortly after noticed a lymph node in my groin area had become swollen and quite sore. According to my doctor, this is a side-effect caused by the softgels and supplement, rather, my body's reaction to "finally getting what it needs". Further blood work has confirmed that the swelling is not cause of something much worse, and I'm to treat it symptomatically with ibuprofen/the like.

Aside from my current though mild discomfort, I do feel I've benefited from starting this medication. Already I've more energy and can FINALLY sleep.