1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who Eats First at Home?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by simpleton, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So true Laks.

Someone once insisted on holding an umbrella over my head from apartment door to my car in parking lot, as I walked with bags and all to car. Did the same for his son who left for work later.

It touched me so much, to this day I shop and buy stuff and sneak into suitcase that DH is taking to India. :) Totally useless stuff, but hey it brings smile and joy to the umbrella holder. And most items are under $10.

3 people like this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Why complicate so much... If you are tired, then it means tired. Tired is a more clear word in English than any other supportive words. If you say, I am weak, I need rest, I am hungry etc..etc... to indicate tired, then chances are very low that your H and in laws misunderstand what you really say.

Anyone can get tired. We women are not exceptional. Why fake extra energy and be a superwoman at home?
    Well, if you are really concerned about your family; thus careful at what you'll do, then obviously you work more to ensure everything is done perfectly.

But, if you are sure that your H can share part of your workload, and MIL is around in the name of helping, then why fuss? Just ask, that too be explicit with the tone of little diplomacy.
    It works. At least it is working in my case.

4 people like this.
  3. simpleton

simpleton Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your inputs.. I am trying to have minimal conversation with her..I can't even tell her I am tired. Last 2 days I was really tired and then when I mentioned it she immediately said "Becoz of us you are having more work isn't?That means we will go to India, I don't want to be here anymore"... Then I explained her that it's not becoz of her it's becoz of work+driving..She does this emotional blackmail always.. My husband told me not to tell her that but to inform him everything. I am eating along with my husband after I come from work and do other work and go to bed early. I don't sit with her and chit-chat.. Everybody will be longing for long weekends and weekends but I am looking forward for week days so that I don't have to face her....

4. adimad

adimad Silver IL'ite

Exactly how I feel when my in-laws are here.

5. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

oh dear
    it is the same here, every time
    and here it is me who cooks and even then she never asks me if i have eaten
    i get up early, make kunch for DH & kids & in laws, breakfast for all & get the kids ready for the daycvare and school -in short rush through everything, make sure all eat breakfast in the morning & it is me who is left out-i rush out without even a cup of tea & the lady never bothers?
    it is the same scenraio at evening, no matter how tired i am when i get bcak, i have to go first thing int he kitchen, make tea & snacks for all of them
    now i just dont care, years of exeprinec have taught me that you first hav to care for yourself , only then can you take care of household
    so now i eat wahtever i want to, anytime
    good for me that the MIL never bothers to look into the kitchen
    she cant even make a cup of tea, my FIL does that when i am in office( i knnow - kids tell me everything)
    even when i go to in laws place, i make usre that me & kids are well fed.
    the son is always looked after by his mother & we cant wait for her to change

6. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

There has to be open communication between husband and wife to start with. If the husband can see that his wife is hungry and tells her to sit with him and eat. It does not matter if you are in America or Sudan, respect between all members of the family is mandatory.

7. rajir3011

rajir3011 New IL'ite

haha must say, I had a really nice time reading replies in this post...

every DIL who goes through this MIL phase, feels she is the only one in the world having this pain...its not about how your MIL treats you, its how you take it...

truth is, you'll live and feel much happier and peaceful, when you learn to see the positives and ignore the negatives...when you realise how lucky you are, to have someone make food ready for you when u reach home after work...when you realise how lucky you are, to have an educated husband who understands you when you communicate...when you realise the ultimate truth that DIL will always be DIL and son will always be son for an MIL and thats just how it is and theres nothing wrong in it...when you stop expecting your MIL to care even 10% of what your MOM does...when you realise there are people on this planet going thru much worse situations...when you realise some or all of the above, you'll start "letting go" ur MIL's words/actions and focus your energy on something useful...

8. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

i feel the same when MIL or ILs here .

9. Arpita19929

Arpita19929 New IL'ite

Hi same happend with me you cant change them so ignore as they are your guest.

10. HemalathaRangar

HemalathaRangar Silver IL'ite

May be... but eat fr ur health