1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disturbing Incident.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Archanas2006, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Archanas2006

Archanas2006 Senior IL'ite

Happily out with family for a movie to Express Avenue, I was agitated for an incident that happened on my way. At 7p.m it was one of the most busiest road in Chennai, and there were 3 rows of cars awaiting entry into the mall. Apparently my car was in the middle row . There was an old man in a tricycle with a load of sand peddling hard to reach the other side of the road. Though it was a one way he was probably trying to reach the destination through the shortest way possible. So he had to go against the rule and pedalled on the wrong side of the road.

A police who din't bother to control the chaos on the road saw this old man and started walking towards him. I thought he would probably warn him and ask him go back and take some other route. But the heartless police chose to puncture the front tyre of the tricycle. The old man got off his cycle and pleaded to let him go . And of course the public was just watching and I was one among them. I tried getting down to question the police for showing his heroism to a weaker person. But again everyone shouted and I had to get back to the car. Parked my car and came out but both the police and the old man were not there.

Whatsoever happened I was totally disturbed by this incident. The police could have warned the old man and let him go. There are so many two wheelers who break the rule but to puncture a tricycle with an old man on it, I would say is heartless. Please be kind , you never know what the other person is going through.

8 people like this.

2. centsibleindian

centsibleindian Silver IL'ite

Totally agree with you. Let's all be mindful and kind to other people. We never know what they're going through.

2 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

My sympathies with the poor old man. Poor people do get the wrong end of the stick more often than others. They can't go on and say"tu janta nahii mein kaun hoon"(you don't know who I am).

Looking at the big picture,we also see that pedestrians and cyclist are very often the victims of accidents. An old man with heavy load ,going against heavy traffic on a cycle is a disaster waiting to happen. With the kind of traffic and speeds on the roads ,such people are most vulnerable.

The policeman was rude and high handed ,but he probably stopped the poor old man from repeating and risking his life in future. The act was not bad...the selective use of it was. I hope and wish the policeman shows the same guts and zeal to puncture a few two wheelers and four wheelers tyres driving on the wrong side too.

2 people like this.
  4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

My sympathies with the old man.Sometimes do not know why people are so cruel?

1 person likes this.
  5. grandma

grandma New IL'ite

I agree with Yellowmango. Its a blessing in disguise for the cartman.But still its distressing to watch a poor man's plight like this.

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Happens all the time. See scooterist without helmet - stop him and fine him. Scooterist breaks a signal, stop him. Car breaks a signal, stop him of course. A BUS or a TAXI breaks a signal, IGNORE. Cars or vehicles with special registrations (govt. officials) can get away with anything. Basically, pick on the weakest. That is our brave police force. It's time they go find someone their size - literally as well as figuratively.

Agree with YM, the problem is not stopping wrong-doers, but it is letting off the bigger vehicles which can do more harm.

1 person likes this.
  7. Archanas2006

Archanas2006 Senior IL'ite

Precisely , on a positive note the policeman's act could have saved the old man from something bigger. But my concern was how the old man managed to drag back his tricycle with that load of sand.

8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Its truly a disturbing incident. Poor people are punished on the spot whereas rich are able to wiggle out from any punishment. The punishment was harsh. Driving a punctured vehicle with heavy load is horrible. The poor man might be trying to hurry multiple loads to earn some decent wage.

In future, we should all take photographs of such policeman and post it on social media and write to the police commissioner.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

I shudder to think as to how the old man might have tackled the heavy load with a punctured tyre. Hope he is ok and has not injured his back.

I shudder more thinking about how so many people on the road just ignored his plight. How can the much needed change occur if the general population just cant be bothered.

The officer must be on duty in that area on other days too , keep an eye out for him and if you catch him please do tell him off or complain against him to his authorities.