1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training Issue

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vaishnavya, Aug 22, 2015.

1. vaishnavya

vaishnavya Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

my son is 2.5 years old. I am doing potty training for past 4 months.
    but no use.. Not even single improvement... He doesn't like to go pee in bathroom
    Starting onward he will go poo in bathroom. Please help me to potty train my son

2. priynwada

priynwada Senior IL'ite

My son is same. Some of my friend told this. Get ur baby in bathroom every half and hour. Make the pee sound. Put some attractive toys or let him play with water. Thus he will get to know about this. I'm trying this from yesterday

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Please show ur kid YouTube videos, search for "potty training for toddlers to watch."

kid will try to imitate those kids as in the videos.

Links:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=potty+training+video+for+toddlers+to+watch

Let the kid watch as many as he wants. some videos are with cartoon type also ,

Get small potty where kid can sit and pee or poop.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...=1&zmap=43678631&mcid=CSE_shopping_paid_none_

my son is also started potty training , he is 2.4 now, in daycare they started keeping him without diaper, and by seeing other kids at daycare also I think my kid started using potty or bathroom.

4. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Try reading him some books about potty training for a week before you start putting him on the potty. Then first sit him on potty for 5-10 min everyday just for fun. Do this for a week. While he is sitting, read some books with him or other activity to engage him while sitting on the seat.

Try to get one of those toiler trainers which has a seat and can attach on the toilet.

http://www.amazon.com/Babyjorn-Toil..._sim_75_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y59SMGAM7393WVER4DK

Since he is older, its best to use those as its easier for transition. The small potty chairs which are portable wont work well as he is now old enough to understand and may just start playing with it then actually using it.

If there is a time of the day when you know he goes potty, then make sure to sit him on the potty at that time of the day and make it a routine.

Another technique which my friend used for her 20 month old, is to not use diapers but just use regular underwear (not even training diapers or training pants). This way when they feel wet, they will feel uncomfortable and ask you to change. This is when to remind them to pee in the toilet and ask them if they want to pee in toilet. For this you have to make sure you are home for 1-2 weeks and can get a routine going with no diaper,otherwise if you start using the diaper again they will get used to it.

Minkis

1 person likes this.
  5. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Whenever he starts peeing pick him up and run to the bathroom. He will realize its only done in bathroom.
    Tell him thats where a big boy goes because its clean and anywhere else in the house is dirty.
    Take him to bathroom at regular intervals and tell him to pee. Pour a little warm water on his feet it stimulates pee. When he pees in bathroom praise him.

6. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

Gosh! My daughter is the same. She hates the potty and will not even let me take the diaper out. She wants to wear the diaper always!!! She quite smart other ways. i dont know why this thing is not clicking. Anybody with a stubborn kid like mine. One day forcibly I didnt give her the diaper and gave her lot of water for like 5 hours. She could hold for that long. At last I gave up and gave a diaper....she peed right away. In 10 mins, I had to change 2 diapers!!! Can u believe it! She would eb starting preschool and i am grossed out cleaning pee and poo for 3 years now. Ugh!!

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@evolving Once she starts school, after having couple of accidents, she would quickly learn. It is just matter of few more days for you.

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I started when my kids were about 1,5 years to take them to the bathroom when I had to go. Let the child sit on the potty while I did my thing :D. Later I took the diaper away during day time so they easily felt the wetness. And continued with the bathroom routine. Usually they learned during the summer when they were 2-3 years as then they could roam freely outside without diapers. During harsh winters harder with all the winter clothes.

9. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Boys are generally not ready before they are 2.5years, they take any where between 2.5 to 3.5. This was told by my sons doctor. In US the average age for a child to be potty trained is 3 due to the convenience of diapers. Night training can even prolong till 5-6 years. I started when my son was 2 and gave up, as I felt he was not ready, I again started when he was 33 months, now he is 35 months and almost trained for Pee Pee, but I still have accidents for Poop.

The suggestion given by the doctor was not to stress the child too much.

10. IshAsokan

IshAsokan New IL'ite

My daughter is 3+. She has been regular in the potty to pee since 2 yrs but not for poop. She will refuse and cry.
    I made her sit in the potty for 10 mins after I got pissed off one day washing her soiled panty. She kept whining and started to cry. I sang rhymes, asked her for the lyrics to complete the rhymes.She stopped crying and began to understand when I told her that she must act like a big girl and poo in the potty. She removes her underwear and runs to loo these days. :) Now n then, I tell her that she soils the panty again, she will be locked in a room.