1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for study buddy's with Computer science/ engineering background

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by evolving, Jul 27, 2015.

1. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

err.. something went wrong. I got a delivery error in my mailbox. could you please send me ur contact details again. Or better yet..here is mine.

2. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

@Gauthu: I see you are online. let me know once u have noted down my email id, so I can delete it. I am not sure if u are at IL page though. SO I ll wait for another 5 mins and delete my id anyways.

3. Gauthu

Gauthu Bronze IL'ite

please delete it or edit the msg and erase the mail id. noted it

4. GokilaHardik

GokilaHardik Junior IL'ite

Ladies.. Count me in.. I wanna join too... I have 4 yrs of exp in develpment(java).. I am new to this android programming... Have u guys already started?? Tell me the steps to follow pls.

1 person likes this.
  5. ashaalt

ashaalt Senior IL'ite

Can I join you guys too? I lack motivation

1 person likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

So glad that ladies here are helping each other.

May I chime in and recommend you get a free, public GitHub account.

It's like Facebook, but for any code you create. It certainly helps when applying for developer job because the employer can see how well you develop code.

1 person likes this.
  7. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

Come on in.. Ashaalt and gokila hardik. Me too 4-5 years in Java and now hoping to conquer Android programming. I have started already. here are the steps I followed:
    1. Got a book from library -- android app development, third edition by mike burton. It is the dummies series book. i borrowed it from the library and started setting up the environment in my PC.
    2. Then, I Enrolled into coursera.org for Android handheld systems part 1 by adam porter. Coursera is a video based learning system where professors from american universities give classes. It is nice to hear someone speak about the course fundamentals. They have quizzes and assignments just like regular classes. Also, they have teamed up with amazon for a free e book. I try to complete one class every day. Each class is barely 15-20 mins and it is a 4 week course. I am in week 3 now and i love it so far.
    3. You may want to try out running your code. Unfortunately, I am facing a roadblock as my PC does not support virtualization. i am hoping to set up the environment again on my hubby mac. Let see. Right now I am focussed on learning the basics.

i think IL is a great forum to find like minded people like you guys and keep motivating each other so we can make some use of this time. I know someone who learned android and joined a startup after she got her EAD. Honestly, if I skip one day of studdying, i feel like a day not well spent. Lol

let me know if you have any questions!

8. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

Thanks for your recomendation ChennaiExpress. Can I run my code in the github container? Does it have an emulator as well? Do you have experience in android?
    much appreciate your motivation!

9. prit1504

prit1504 New IL'ite

I am also inn.Can you guys share the book or references we would follow so that we stay on the same page.

1 person likes this.
  10. evolving

evolving New IL'ite

hi Prit,
    welcome to the group.
    I Enrolled into
    coursera.org for Android handheld systems part 1 by adam porter. Coursera is a video based learning system where professors from american universities give classes. It is nice to hear someone speak about the course fundamentals. They have quizzes and assignments just like regular classes. Also, they have teamed up with amazon for a free e book. I try to complete one class every day. Each class is barely 15-20 mins and it is a 4 week course. I am in week 3 now and i love it so far.
    I tried to follow the book too, but the book is kind of refernce material for me now that I found the videos on coursera.
    you need to set up the environment like adk, jdk etc on your system as well. Follow links on the course site for directions. If you are a member of a library try getting the android app development for dummies book by mike burton. It is a good start up book.

Meanwhile, please report your progress here every week on wednesday, so we can get motivation from each other and help out in troubleshooting as well. Good luck!