1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining Relations with Extended Family

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Vennella, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I have been thinking about this topic for sometime now, and would like to get your views.

How do you maintain relations with extended family, especially dh's relations?
    Would inlaws pester you day in day out about making calls to dh's uncles, aunts, cousins etc? How do you deal with this?

I would like to share some of my experiences and would like to hear from others who have gone through this ordeal.

1. My in-laws are very formal people. They follow all formalities, as in they NEVER turn down an invitation. They have to attend every single event they are asked to. And they would like us to be the same.

2. While we are in US we ( thankfully it is just dh, most of the time) are pestered to make phone calls to dh's uncles aunts cousins etc.

3. When we visit India, day 1 FIL is ready with phone numbers. We should call everybody on their side and talk. Please note, not one relative would call us even though it is not international call. Then, we make insane plans (involving all modes of transportation) to cover as many places as we can in the shortest amount of time to VISIT all these relatives. Of course, we distribute gifts and money as dictated by in laws. And before we leave to US we call everybody to inform we are leaving.

4. While in the city, we are not left free to enjoy our time. We are dragged to lunches, dinners of friends, neighbors, acquaintances of in laws. So I never get to even do my shopping. Before leaving to India i make lists and lists of things to do and things to buy but never DO anything.

5. I used to do everything, go anywhere to meet up people because it makes my in laws happy. But now I am getting tired of this charade, mainly because everything is fake and artificial. There is nothing genuine. I came to realize that even my in laws are just mentally ticking off these visits that must happen at any cost. Or they are extremely insecure about their son forgetting his relatives.

Let me give examples of the extent of this "artificial meetings".

On one India trip i had to stay back after my husband left. There is this aunty who is a friend of MIL who lives in the same apartment. I could'nt meet her during this visit as she was out of town. She came back on the day I was leaving. Literally the same morning. Consider this scenario. Aunty has come back by train that morning and in an hour I am leaving to the airport. I am at my inlaws house with packed bags. My parents who live in the same city are waiting with the taxi outside the apartment complex. MIL takes me to this aunty's house. Doors closed. We ring the bell. No response. Poor woman must be sleeping after her travel. I am not kidding, we stood there for 15-20 mins ringing the bell every 5 mins. I did mention that aunty might be sleeping and we shouldnt disturb her. MIL's response is it wont look good if I leave without meeting her!! She was out of town, how is that my fault? Anyways the madness continues and no doors opened. I am getting late to the airport so we left.

But i felt so foolish!

another pet peeve, we share our wedding anniversary with dh's uncle. So we are doomed for life. Every year, when we call in laws first thing out of their mouths is "did u call uncle and aunt to wish?" In all this nonsense they forget to wish their own son and DIL. This year MIL's response was even more interesting. She started off saying " i wished my eldest son first thing in the morning" and i was wondering what does she mean she has only one son, slowly had a tubelight moment that she means dh's uncle. And she moved on to other topics completely forgetting to wish me! I just cant wrap my head around this behavior!

2. rebelwomen

rebelwomen Senior IL'ite

same thing happens with me too and interestingly it is not just the in-laws who have this check list, my parents have it too( mom has her side of relative's list and dad has his side of relatives list), and i have to oblige them.

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Phone calls - slowly make them DH's job. You make the ones that you like making. There must be some in DH's extended family that you like to talk to once in a while.

Making phone calls when you land in India and calling them to inform you are leaving - is a nice quaint practice. Won't take more than 30-45 minutes overall. Do it gracefully. Will make in-laws happy. Time flies, and these are the memories you will have of them - things that happen in trips to India... your FIL holding the phone book will become a fond memory... and years down the line you'll see your DH doing something similar.

Time is at a premium when you are in India. What we used to do was when we visit my side, we throw two 'parties' - one for my mom's side relatives, and another for dad's side. People like to eat, and free food is always welcome. And those people also all get to meet each other which is rare given busy lives people lead in India. Takes some planning and effort to get folks to agree to the concept.

If that doesn't work, put your foot down and say cannot meet all the people. Offer to call them and apologize profusely.

When we are leaving the house for airport - I do not stand drama from anybody. It is by now a known fact and no one will make us late. Do it couple of times - simply leave at the time you have to leave... say sorry a million times but leave. For me, it is a holy thing to be in airport in enough time. :)

2 people like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

When I go to India, I only call close friends and relatives. These are also the only people I visit in person. For the rest, I see them if they happen to drop by. I certainly don't spend much time going to visit distant relatives.
    There is usually a wedding or two going on, so I get to see a lot of folks.
    Family time is precious, and I usually spend most of my time with my parents. We also do a road trip and a couple of my favorite aunts will come along. This is one of the best parts of the trip. And the last day is strictly family: no phone calls, going out etc.
    In the US, I do not have to call anyone as an obligation. When my parents visit though the phone is always ringing off the hook!

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It all depends on how much this socializing effects your vacation. When it comes to a point where it starts upsetting you and spoiling your vacation ,thn one should put an end to it firmly.

In my case ,the major culprit were my parents,more like my father .He loves to socialize and would not let go of the opportunity to do so. The little days I would get to spend would be booked to socialize with his friends and extended family .I hated it. We were expected to go and meet up people we did't know just because parents were friends with them .My husband hated it more.

Finally I told my father ,we don't come here to socialize with your friends.We do not want to do this. My dad protested but I firmly told him ,if he did not want to spend time with us ,then we could reduce the duration. Finally now we spend all our time with parents and my mom does not have to cook for endless dinners with people We eat simple food and appreciate it.

My in laws don't like to socialize.They are the opposite of my parents.They would try to outsource the wedding attending to us."You people attend" It was not fun attending wedding where we didn't know any one. I sorted it out by not taking any formal wear for either of us. My mil even tried to put me in her saree and petticot ...but the blouse was a problem. I forgot the blouse every single year till she gave up.

8 people like this.
  6. meenurani

meenurani Silver IL'ite

My DH is in a whatsapp group with all his cousins and relatives , same way I am in a whatsapp group with all my relatives. We keep in touch through that, When we go to India, if we have time we would visit relatives of both sides. We both prefer to stay with parents when we visit india rather than going around places.

1 person likes this.
  7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

This is what is true in my case. My DH and I individually keep in touch with our cousins, then update each other with little nuggets of information about each other's side whenever (and if) necessary.

Phone calls from the US to extended relatives NEVER happens. It is MY IL's duty to keep in touch with all their siblings; once in a while, DH will ask them about his aunts or uncles, and get a stock reply. I will chip in with a polite comment or two.

Calling all aunts/uncles ONCE (not immediately after landing AND before leaving) while in India will be expected from me by IL's.

What you're doing is big drain on precious India time. Your DH is the main culprit here. And you need to get the message across to him from the first day your India tickets are booked. Make your itinerary which includes places that you want to go to, and let him know that this is what you would like to do BEFORE your IL's start booking your tickets.

Do you have kids? If yes, do they also tag along on these ridiculous relative-visiting-spree in India?

2 people like this.
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Vennella....I completely get where you are coming from especially since both me and DH come from families where relationships upto atleast 3rd generation are maintained...and both my parents and inlaws are very traditional..
    So yes they expect the younger ones to call the elders... me and DH are the youngest in our respective clans ..so So yes its a lot of calling and visiting. Weeks before we even get there our entire calendar is booked. My co-sister tries really hard to manage but she can only do so much. There was one time where for 2 weeks straight I was eating all 3 meals breakfast lunch dinner at different homes and by the time I landed at my moms..I gave her strict orders to make plain pepper rasam for the next 5 days. The sight of food nauseated me.
    ...but behind all that formality there is a lot of love and affection..its different and... its solid. After all the plastic ..hi ..bye and we will drop by at our convenience and while we are there comment on ur silver ware and the lack of toddlers manners ... kind of lifestyle....Its nice to know there are still people who would put their lives on hold in case u need some help. With children outside India our parents need that support. They need people to hold the fort for 24 hrs till we get there.
    A few social calls /phone is a small price to pay...dont u think?

3 people like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very nice post, JAG. Good to some posts from you since last week.

Re your question - social calls and phone calls are fine, but not when it takes over major part of India trip. Trip after trip. I can understand that parents have their wishes... but selfishly speaking, we want to spend lot of quality time with parents (only) too.

"They need people to hold the fort for 24 hours till we get there"
    true true true.. so sadly true.

Vennella, JAG's question was to you.. Jumping in.. Itching for a round with JAG. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

yes private lone time with parents ..very much desired and I really know what u mean..I want that so badly myself..one day to have amma and appa to myself..even my co sister to myself..roam around streets of the city for chaat and some shopping ..but it takes a back seat ..3 weeks out of 52 weeks ..and some of us only visit once every couple of years..is it really that hard?
    its not about what I want its about what makes them happy. This whole private time is a very western concept..Most desi parents thrive in large family gatherings..
    Just like giving a gift to a guy..a pink teddy bear and a hallmark card makes the woman happy but knowing guys thats probably not on his top 100.