1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Moral responsibility of movie audience as stakeholders

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vijubala, Jul 12, 2015.

1. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Awareness about what? Movies are mainly for entertainment, some of them also provoke you to think. I would shun movies with a "message" as I think it is better that people form their own opinions.

I watched Titanic 10 times (and cried), did the movie have a message? Guess not but Leonardo di Caprio was so cute :D

2. vijubala

vijubala Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much Wijaya for your supportive fb.yes, I too agree not only serials but all mass media should get a reform.

3. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

I watch movies to unwind and feel relaxed after stressful work week. I love watching all varieties of movies including mass entertainers.

I feel that it is not necessary for all movies to be heavy and spread social awareness/good public messages only. As long as they are not sending wrong messages (like a guy insulting a woman and him being portrayed as a hero), I am okay.

I also watched Happy New Year which was a no brainer with cheap tactics and felt relaxed after watching senseless movie with no story which emptied my mind of all worries of real life. I agree that it glorified thieving as being valid which was the big -ve of this movie. But still enjoyed it.

4. VKumaraswamy

VKumaraswamy Senior IL'ite

Hi Cool10
    I fully support the right of producers to make any film.
    About happy new year, I think the sheer tastelessness of the the film annoyed me. How low does one have to be to think anyone will find epileptic fits funny?! Or indeed anyone being so awed by someone speaking English that they are willing to accept any verbal abuse from them.
    And it insulted viewers intelligence- how about the password for the safe for eg.
    I was really annoyed by the film, but that does not mean that a film like that should not be made. Which is where my comment about people voting with their feet came in

5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

There is industry expression "Corporate social responsibility" (CSR) which gained currency in recent times via digital promotions and advertising. There are several digital ads online but I'm providing a link: here. Don't worry about the language, the imagery depicts everything you need to know. To summarize: a female cancer survivor is apprehensive to return to work having lost her tresses but once she enters the office, her colleagues not only make her feel at ease but also hail her beautiful with traditional "nazar na lage" (let no one cast evil-eye) gesture by placing a black dot on her temple. The ad was developed by Linen Lintas, Delhi for Dabur Vatika hair oil. Why should a hair oil brand make an ad on bald women? This is where CSR comes into picture. You can read more about it here

Now let's walk to the motion picture floor. Avast! Would you mind stopping by the clay studio for few minutes. Have you heard about Adam Elliot, yes that Australian claymation director. Try to watch : Harvie Krumpet (his movies are interwoven with social messages and this one deals with Alzheimer's disease). The movie bagged "Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film" in 2004. Okay, now let's continue, mind the camera mounted on dolly coming this way ..

I've not provided any links for culturally and aesthetically preserved movies by motion picture association because I'm sure you are aware of lot of trend-setting and trailblazing works. I think when OP favoured "balance" she meant integration of resources available to big production houses to sponsor social-awareness movies. Today there are more independent film-makers in the West and inspite of India ranking very high on the box-office smash hits and revenues, there are very few auteurs who can create culturally significant and substantive movies. I think OP's attempt was a nudge to say that it is incumbent on us to appreciate good films but not cri de coeur to put kibosh on entertainment factor in movies. Movies could feature entertainment, propaganda, conservation or any quality that is appealing for the masses but it is the potential and reach of the movies that perhaps OP wanted to convey that can be engaged for rural development and social equalizer.

Glad that you liked L Caprio in Titanic but the movie was of epic stature on several accounts with ostensible and not-so-subtle historical references and trivia. Have you ever wondered who those hugging old couple in the flooding cabin were: here

4 people like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Kaka Muttai, Madras are some Tamil movies with sociopolitical themes & both were a hit in all the A B C D centers, meaning they were well received by both educated audiences also by the other mass as both films reflected some aspects of their life / lifestyle which they could relate to! There was no lack of entertainment in both films, I believe a good screenplay is what has made them interesting, both being of docu-drama genres. On the contrast, even with big budget, star casts & a hit director, the Tamil movie I failed in all the A B C D centers. This shows even the mass audiences cannot tolerate such nonsense movies despite its entertainment value! Also indicates their changing mentality, does it not?

I do Agree that creatives have a moral responsibility to give the public sensible cinemas with a message & create awareness, at the least not make movies about violence / revenge subjects or boost caste egos which is very common in Tamil cinemas till this day... But change is happening, there is more support these days from audience for low commercial & mid budget creations, but for the day to come, the star effect on fans should die which will happen eventually after series of flops from their heros just because they underestimated their own fan bases!!

Sorry if I have blabbered something away from the topic!

2 people like this.
  7. chandrakant

chandrakant New IL'ite

All Movies - whether they are old or new - with scenes of Smoking / Drinking / Gambling / Murder should be totally banned for exhibition & display.

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

That is why there are age limits to the movies. Films for children/young people should not contain these kind of scenese. But smoking/drinking/gambling/murder etc are part of life and can be part of a movie depending on the plot. Movies are not supposed to be some kind of moral propaganda - they are entertainment and a form of art.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya sees his opportunity here and starts polishing his keyboard vigorously.
    Cheeniya, the conscience, appears on the mirror opposite and snaps his fingers disdainfully at Cheeniya, the real.
    Cheeniya (c): Why are you polishing that rickety keyboard?
    Cheeniya (r): Can't you see that vijubala has given me a great opportunity to write a strong FB? If this keyboard is not polished, I cannot see the fading letters and may end up typing out wrong things.
    Cc: I suggest you polish your foot instead of the keyboard. It has been quite a while since you put it in your mouth and it looks dirty enough to cause you a serious infection.
    Cr: Don't make fun of me now. I am dead serious about this cinema business and I do not want to be distracted before I express my strong views on the subject.
    Cc: Serious? You have never written anything serious or worthwhile in all these years and your seriousness causes greater mirth than your so-called humorous posts. Tell me, why are you restless like a warhorse at the sound of a bugle?
    Cr: You know cinema is my favourite subject and I am already planning to write a series of reviews on movies produced during the first of the last century to point out to people what good cinema meant then.
    Cc: Randorguy is already doing it in the Hindu on a weekly basis and why do you want to be a copycat?
    Cr: oh, is he? Then I'll move over to the silent movie days.
    Cc: You mean you are going to leave a blank page in your column and say that you cannot give a better tribute to a silent movie?
    Cr: If this is how you are going to discourage people, you can never move out of that mirror and be a real forceful personality like me. It is easy to be a conscience of somebody and be critical of everything.
    Cc: Can't you see old man that I am just being helpful in trying to stop you from making a fool of yourself? Cinema is for the youth and your views will just cause all round irritation. Tell me a couple of things that you want to mention in your FB.
    Cr: Akira Kurosawa, Abbas Kiarostami...
    Cc: Are they brothers?
    Cr: I am ashamed to have you as my conscience! The first one was the greatest Japanese movie maker and the second was the greatest Iranian movie maker. According to my knowledge they were never brothers except that they belonged to the fraternity of movie makers.
    Cc: Ok, Ok! I apologise. My long association with you has blunted my intellect! Tell me, what is it that you are going to write about them?
    Cr: Forget it! I have lost my interest now. I am sure that you will earn the wrath of the ILites for preventing me from voicing my opinion on Indian Cinema.
    Cc: Looks like your mouth will have to wait a bit longer to taste your foot! Good!

6 people like this.