1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Gifted Child

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by IamLucky, Jul 15, 2015.

1. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

I was felling relived and my husband was sad when we started from his home after a three days holiday. we took a 3 seater in a private bus and My baby was sleeping in my lap.When the bus was above to start one mid aged man came running with a single water bottle in hand with a not very decent shirt and pant. Came near us and hesitantly looked asking whether he can take the 3rd seat near us. My husband with a warm smile asked to take the seat and again went to his dream land to feel sad for leaving home.The new man slowly started conversation with my husband and started asking about us. We also thought we can spend sometime in this 3 hrs journey and was giving him details about us. When we told we are from IT his face got brighten up and he smiled to the maximum. We noticed the handsomeness of the average looking man and his innocence.
    He in a very low voice asked us ,whether we can do some help for him. the smile so far which stick to my husband's lips suddenly vanished thinking he is going to ask for money. I think he must have understood his mind and suddenly came to the point.
    I am working as a building contractor and having 2 boy babies. I have done only my primary schooling but my wife is a MA tamil graduate.My first boy is 3.5 years old and when he was 2.5 years old he started recognizing images very fast so we started to show the famous people pictures and told the names of them like sachine, obama, mahatma etc. Now he can tell more than 150 famous personalities in 7 minutes with the names and details randomly also. He can also recite more than 20 thirukurals and many more.We went to his school and told this, their correspondent checked and asked him with the inverted picture, he answered that also. He got surprised and immediately told, he can study till 12th grade in CBSE for free in the same school and not to tell this to any one outside. I fear, they think if he is known outside we may change the school so only he is not helping my kid develop in his talent. Since you are working in IT you may know how to bring out the talent. I don't know how can i help my kid since i am uneducated. If possible please help my boy to come outside and showcase his talent.
    When he completed we were in the verge or astonishment.
    Friends, How can we bring this out, Please suggest me so that we can help a talented kid develop which he deserves.
    If a proper attention is given , i am sure he will be a gem from a rock.
    I can see the inability of a true loving father.I have asked him to record and send it across.
    Please help in proceeding friends.

Thanks,
    H

sindmani, katochsimi, Lathasv and 4 others like this.

2. jayashreer513

jayashreer513 Silver IL'ite

When I read your post, I became nostalgic, thinking about my father. I don't know how to help the child. I will come up with ideas if any. But, God bless all the fathers, who are like this father in the post (I don't have words to explain, feeling emotional).

sindmani and IamLucky like this.
  3. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear. I deliberately feel, i should do something for the child. But don't know what to do. If not for that child, For the true love of the father.

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@IamLucky I appreciate your good intention to help others.send the information to some leading magazines in your area so that other people help you

sindmani and IamLucky like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@IamLucky,

My opinion here is slightly different. I feel being gifted so much is a gift in itself. The school has promised to give him free education till grade 12. That is a huge blessing. With that in mind, perhaps what he needs more is a steady guiding hand exposing him to various 'learning opportunities' and stand by him as he tries to use his potential. Hopefully you can help in that area - yes it calls for some more work from your side but once you set the ball rolling, it gets easier for his parents and school to follow up further as he grows up.

I am not sure of the age of the child and not clear about what help the parent of that child wanted. But as a parent, I would be cautious about the amount of exposure. Keeping in mind the long term objective and the growth of the child will help here.

6. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

I guess media exposure is the best way to reach out. But as srama mentioned getting an education in a reputed school until 12th grade is itself a blessing. Why does the dad want the kid to be exposed ? For better education ?(which he is already getting) or recognition or want to make money out of the gifted kid.. ( I am trying to be the critic here. Please do not jump guns that I questioned a father's intention).

Let me tag @hrastro . She understands kids and their ability better and can help with some good suggestions.

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Now a days parents want too much exposure to the children at an early age and perhaps to take monetary advantage out of this. I have seen so many parents like this.As Srama has said to get free edn ina CBSC school itself is a great blessing.The talents of a really talented child would come out automatically, especially in this case,since the head of the institution seems to have given some weightage.

The inner abilities should get channelised slowly and steadily and not at an express speed.
    The media exposure sometimes does more harm to the child than good.Some children ,who are early bloomers sometimes get stalled at a stage and no such evidence of 'child prodigy' is seen.It is better to focus on all round development of the child rather than recognizing world leaders, memorising capitals or getting by heart certain Thirukkurals.

I have seen a seven year old girl reciting all 1330 thirullurals in any order we ask. She was given so much media hype, and at last turned out to be an average student of an ordinary calibre.
    Giving a helping hand is always welcome but not with a view to get undue popularity.

jayasala 42

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for tagging vs!! Let me think and respond :)

1 person likes this.
  9. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

it is nice to help out a gifted child. Assuming you are in India check out the mensa for kids site. exceptionally talented kids get submitted and they have some wonderful programs for him. that might help.
    In US they have special programs to encourage the gifted kids who need extra attention.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Difficult to assess based on this oral exchange of remarkable feat if the child is "precocious" (advanced development) or "intelligent" (superior cognition) or "prodigy" (exceptionally savant).

I think the school authorities should be familiar with the identification process and recourse for gifted-children and can advise accordingly once the assessment is done, but if the parents feel that due attention is not given in this case may be they can independently consult a trained educator for gifted children who should be able assess the skill/talent level for biological and chronological age and propose learning operative. I think it is difficult to propose or say anything until we know what we are dealing with here. For now, the child can continue in CBSE curriculum under scholarship program. I don't think the parent sounded like merchandising his kid for fame (analysed on the statement: "he is not helping my kid develop in his talent") but was only worried about not charting right path for his son's future in facilitating proportional engagement for that mental aptitude.

sindmani and jskls like this.