1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle ILs who have insulted the DIL in the past

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Cool10, May 26, 2015.

1. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

OMG ...weird creatures..are they for real?
    Dont even think abut them..take care of yourself as you are doing now..

1 person likes this.
  2. CuteCancer

CuteCancer Silver IL'ite

:shock: Kids can be that mischevious??? OMG they seemed to be specially trained. You have patience of a saint

1 person likes this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Applauds for ur dh for handling breakfast thing so well...
    omg wht kind of kids are they? Are thry zombie or wht? U shuld be strict to them n u have all right to do tht as this is ur house ....ur sil shuld stop them if she is not stopping them then u shuld....u r also elder to them and u have all right to discipline them specially in ur house....
    when they have taken ur gold jewellery out u shuld not have given them even artificial ones....u shuld have told them tht this is not the things to play wth...play wth ur toys...u shuld have clearly told ur sil tht she needs to discipline the kids and dont worry now i will do the job

1 person likes this.
  4. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

They are 4.5 and 6.5 years. The younger one never went to school till now (which is fine considering XYX country). The elder went for 1 year in India and when she moved to XYZ country 1.5 years back, she has not sent the daughter to school. She says she is homeschooling but kids haven't learnt anything so far.

Also says that she keeps everything in her home locked including fridge and kids have access only to their toys. She blamed me for not having an antiseptic house where everything is out of reach of her kids.

I am not against homeschooling but such kids need to be at par with their peers. I have met many homeschooled kids who are great at their studies and various extra-curricular things. Her H has regular fights wit her over this (none of my business).

A six and a half year old knowing only ABCD, counting from 1 to 20, names of 9 planets and appalling manners is lagging behind as per me. Don't know how she evaded school for her 6 yr old one in XYZ country where education is compulsory for all.

I was not concerned about her kids studies but the fact that they are going to stay at my home (being so much naughty and ill-mannered) alarms me. It is things bought from my hard earned money that they destructed and are going to do so when she comes back after 15 days :drowning. It is my peace that they are spoiling. Kids should be naughty but should also learn how to be well-mannered, polite and obedient at least some of the time (I know kids cannot be picture perfect all the time and will have their moments of bad behavior also. But all the time is too much)

5. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

I can only tell them to stop and they don't listen. Switching off bedroom light also had no effect on them as they just switched it back on. She never told them to stop. After they smeared my nail polish I just gently took out of their hands at which they started crying lying on the floor. At this she came running and said to me "My kids are crying because of you. Cant you give one nail polish to them". If they applied to their nails or asked me to apply to them I would have, but applying on all things and floor and wasting it is not justifiable to me.

It seems to me that she wants to drive me out of my own house (because she wants to stay here long term and now knows that I wont be a maid to her)

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

At that age children usually know basic behavior (a four year old may still now and then do stupid stuff) but guess here is the background a messy family life, a mother jumping like a nomad to other peoples houses and separating the kids from their father. Children need structure, peace, strong relations with their parents. The kids may of course still be jetlagged. They would need constant supervision/guidance and things to settle down. Kids are also good in picking up subtle feelings/atmoshphere issues and may sense the tensions between the adults.

How is the mother providing for her costs? Does she have savings or is the father sending from abroad? She cannot live in other peoples houses for two years, she need to build a home for the children if she plan to stay. How will she pay for the rent, schooling costs, clothes and other expenses? How is the husband (of this childish wife) taking this?

But all of this is not your headache, focus on your pregnancy and get out of the nut house if you are not able to throw the SIL out of the house.

2 people like this.
  7. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

She is an abusive (physically) marriage. Her H is not going to paying for anything during her entire stay here. He clearly told my ILs "They (his wife and children) are eating all my money and not letting me rest after work also. If she wants to go to India, she can go but you have to bear all expenses for her tickets and entire stay".

I do not support him and his abusive behavior. Some of the child play I saw alarmed me - the little guy taking his belt and hitting his elder sister and other people with it. I told DH to stop him and DH also scolded the child like anything after taking the belt from him. This as per me is a clear manifestation of real abuse the father puts on mother.

But other misbehavior of her children are due to her over affection and her teaching them wrong things to say about me ("mommy told this is not your house. this is our house. you leave from here" or "mommy said you are a guest here" or "mommy says uncle will not live with aunty. he will stay with us here"). In addition she also misbehaved with me and performed cheap tricks, talks all the time.

I am fine with supporting her financially and emotionally during her stay in India. But I don't want this at the cost of my own marriage and her taking over my home with me only as a maid who also acts as an ATM.

Why doesn't she stay at her parent's house (newly constructed in another big city with 10 times space as ours) ? I am fine with sending her money to stay there comfortably (even though FIL earns Rs 1 lakh per month from pension and rentals/investments) with her visiting us occasionally.

I cannot bear all her cheap behavior and am leaving next week before she comes back here with my ILs.

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Why does she not file for a divorce and get the child support/alimony? The father is responsible for taking care of the childrens expenses. What are the mothers plans? Hanging out in India for two years and then what?

Domestic abuse is very damaging for children so that can be one of the background factors for the behavior. And now they would to get their own homoe and stability instead of hanging out in different places. If the mother would go through the legal issues with the child support and get a job they would afford a home - and that is what the children deserve.

2 people like this.
  9. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Your SIL needs to stay with her parents. I don't understand how your DH agreed for her to stay with you with her kids. Totally unacceptable.
    In your absence would she not destroy your house ? Take all your valuables and things that mean to you. You probably have to put your foot down and tell your DH that you can't have them in your house. Your baby will also see the erratic behavior of the kids and grow up like one. Kids learn from other kids behavior very easily.
    I must say that you have a hell lot of patience.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

She will not take divorce because of social stigma, husband being GOD for her and her being not working. I don't know what she is planning in long term. At present she wants to put up with us for indefinite number of years. In her parent's house she definitely has to help her mother with housework. Here she got me to serve everyone.