1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Immigration.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by jmsd, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

coolgal

Intend to to that only.Thanks :)

2. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

I understand your frustrations jmsd.
    Hope the visa issue would be favorable to you and your parents also get to live with your brother. And hopefully they are willing to accept and adjust his marriage setup over there.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your parents can certainly obtain a visitor' visa to the US. It will be helpful if your brother sends an invitation letter and some documentation, but it is not necessary. Your parents can buy medical insurance in India for the duration of their visit.
    They will not be able to 'immigrate' as in move permanently to the US, but they can apply on their own for the visa. A US visitor visa does not have to be sponsored.
    If your brother has valid reservations about their coming to his house, they should have a frank discussion.

4. TAJE

TAJE New IL'ite

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they used to visit him, then it means they had visitors visa earlier. So it also means you know the process how to apply for visa. Visa application does not need health insurance. Although visa officer might ask question about it that "Have your purchased our insurance?" or something like that. Then you can say that we are in process of purchasing it and it will start immediately as soon as we land on US.

I was on H1B and I applied for my parents visitors visa. (again without health insurance) , approved for 10 years.

By the way I am also from Chandigarh.

5. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Yes I am indeed aware of the process of visitor's visa.Theirs' has not expired yet.
    What i was actually keen on asking for was whether a dependent's visa is possible for them while my brother is on H1B.I guess that is sadly not possible.

And good to know someone from the city.:)

6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

nope, dependent visa is NOT possible for your parents. "Qualifying family members are only the wife and children".

Also Visitor's medical insurance does NOT cover general / existing illness. It covers only accidental or acute-onset-of-existing conditions.

Seeing your situation, you have 2 options.
    1. Send them for 6 months a year to your Bro's home (and you can have them for next 6 months.
    2. Choose a home seperate from parents, but closer to them, so you are not too far, but can keep a tab on them if needed.

Cheers,
    JM