1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

argument between me and fil. plss help plss..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by priynwada, Jul 6, 2015.

1. priynwada

priynwada Senior IL'ite

So today me,baby and mil fil visited to mil's brother. Everything was going good. Mil brother got a new dog and he showed it to us. I don't like dogs. I have fobia of them. Because once a dog attacked me.

After few movements, fil took that dog in his lap and showed it to baby who is 18 months old. He with curiosity touched the dog,I instantly said no don't touch him. Because he always puts his fingers in his mouth.

Fil instantly got angry. "Don't u understand I'm his grandfather. U have insulted me. You idiot. " and he went. I seriously don't know what went wrong.

After some times he came. He was very quite. Then while our way to home I said sorry;I just wanted him not to touch that dog. Fil Again became angry." I don't have any attachment with u. U did wrong. U don't trust us" etc.

Now I came home. But did not get what went wrong. What should I do. I'm feeling very sad. Should I go to my parents home. Because they both are not talking.

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

IHi Priynwada,

To reassure you first, dont worry, you did nothing wrong. No matter what, you as a mother have the right and duty to protect your son. You had also said sorry for the incident. I think your FIL should have apologized to you for yelling and calling you an idiot. So just dont bother about their rude behavior and go about your life as normal. Talk to them as normal and if they dont just shrug your shoulders and move on. Be strong and you have to let them know, one way or another that it is not ok for them to call you names, esp in front of others and also your child. If you feel you owe an explanation to your husband, then tell your version to your husband before they say theirs and explain to your husband about your fear and why you were worried about the baby touching the dog, and maybe he can explain it to his parents.

2 people like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Biggest factor is husband.

Will he take OP's side, or also insult the way his father did, which by the way is very disrespectful.

People get irritated, lose their temper, and then blame everyone else but themselves. They are most unhappy. Trust me.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A parent should never explain or say sorry if what he/she did was for child's protection. Even if the act seems overkill or rude to anybody, including to spouse or own parents.

Be firm a few times, and after that it'll be taken as the default that you are how you are. Such firmness sends a message not only to others (including grandparents) but also to the child - that the parent cares and knows what he/she is doing.

Some sulking, some pouting, some silent treatment will happen from the 'offended', so be it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

op are you living with them under one roof?What your husband says about this incident.
    When people abuse you dont apologize even they are older and your IL.In that way you send them signal that its ok to abuse you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

Its ok op..sometimes it happens..old ppl getting mad..its their ego getting clashed.. This will pass thro..don't worry.jus leave it

1 person likes this.
  7. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

In almost all houses who owns pets they treat them as their child.

My cousin who had a dog, got really offended when I called her dog as "nai" (meaning dog in tamil) and wanted me to address him by the name :p

You are totally not wrong, you are scared of dogs and hence your reaction and maybe FIL is very pet friendly and got offended. Well, he gotta learn that not everyone are ok with pets.

Somehow he is equating this with trust...has there been any previous incidents where they claimed that you don't trust them with the baby. Think about it....

1 person likes this.
  8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, Having a dog near a 18 month old unless the baby grows up with the dog can be dangerous. I am not surprised you reacted to it. Your FIL is at fault here calling you an idiot . You did the right thing as a parent , its your FIL's fault to feel insulted.What if the baby had put a hand in the dog's mouth and dog had bitten.You shudnt have apologized in the first place. Your FIL shud have apologized for calling you idiot. Good Luck.

9. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Shed your worries. You are the mom! You have every right to protect your kid. And you apologized too.

Dont think of going to your mom's house ... he has problem with you and it is not vice versa. So may be he should go to his mother's house!

10. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Hi,

You not being a dog lover i can understand your concerns.I have always had a pet since the time i was 4 years so i know,what reactions a dog lover will give.Probably your FIL is a big time pet lover ,hence this reaction.Yes i do believe its an overreaction on his end to call you an idiot.He could have just told you the babys safe and with me and the dog too has a good temperament.

Trust me dogs never ever harm kids ,esply homely dogs.They have the best temperament with kids too.Plus it would be great for your baby if he learns to be sympathetic towards all animals.It makes them more humane.

PS.I love dogs to bits :)