Need advice - confused on teaching or it sector

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by seema177, Jul 1, 2015.

1. seema177

seema177 New IL'ite

hello !!!!

I really need your help from you ladies !! .... I am confused about my career path as where to go ...

I have done my b.tech in 2010..After that i worked at an it firm for 1.5yrs as ERP Functional associate. At that time i strongly felt to pursue masters as it gets really difficult after marriage..I then did my mtech in CSE (2013-2015). Now i am confused about which path to opt- it sector or teaching.

I liked working in a it firm as growth is faster there. I wanted to go in java development but i am not getting gud interview calls may be probably due to the long gap in after b.tech and my past experience is also in diffrent profile.

I am not much inclined to teaching but everyone say its easier to balance family life after marriage with teaching as a career ... but salary is certainly very less as compared to it sector.

I am 27 now and soon will be getting married. I really confused about everything as which will be a gud option in long term. I dont know how things will change after marriage ....

is there someone who has felt same at certain point of time ?

Plz help !!! you ladies are experienced and must be having better clarity on these aspects ..

thanks

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

You have to decide according to ur priorities...Post marriage, with family responsibilities it becomes very difficult to manage IT job-long working hrs, work pressure, late calls etc..teaching would be preferable for married ladies..especially ladies who have kids would prefer teaching as the teaching profession is very stable unlike IT, the pay is pretty decent for Mtech graduates and timings are 9-4 etc which is manageable..Also you can pursue doctorate , publish research papers also and grow in academics..You would feel glad for sharing ur knowledge with students and for shaping the future of the young students...

But then every profession has its ups & downs , teaching may not give you the kind of package, hikes an perks that you would get by working in an MNC, and those who do not have an interest or flair for teaching would become frustrated in the long run...also these days students do not have much respect for teachers/lecturers this results in a strained relation b/w teacher-student.
    Therefore you have to decide ur interests & priorities in life..
    You mentioned that you will be getting married soon, so when are u planning for kids?
    If you are confused, take up an IT job in MNC for time being, work for couple of years and then switch to teaching after having a kid.

1 person likes this.
  3. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Its all boils down to what you want to do.
    Don't think your gap after graduation, you chose PG with work experience which you can project it as you interest in learning and updating your technical skills.
    Cross the bridge only when it comes..
    you are not yet married why do you want to think abt how your work will be after kids and all now itself..
    If the teaching job which you are looking in is from govt or something which you think will give you better stability/security etc think it through..
    weigh the pros and cons in each and choose whichever your passion is..
    All the best!!

4. seema177

seema177 New IL'ite

thanks a lot (generic) for your suggestions...

i feel i m getting carried away by my family and people around me to go for teaching just for ease of job..but somewhere i know within that teaching is not for me and with the kind of work there i will not enjoy it..

Planning kids is a far reality for me now.. for now i am just focussing on
    getting a job..

With a quite gap, I want to go in java development profile, please suggest what can i do to get a job .. with no prior experience in development ...I have knowledge of c, and core java, datastructures and sql concepts..

5. seema177

seema177 New IL'ite

thanks shruthi !!!!
    I have got things really clear with what you said... :)
    and best part was to deal with the issue as it comes..it really helped me ..

my passion is to go into the it sector.. but somewhere i was getting worried that will i be able continue with it.. with my elders asking me to go for teaching.. as it is gud for girls ...

but i am feeling what is the use of any job if I dont like it ??? and just opting for it for the sake of ease in it..

6. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

OP, ur skillset is C, corejava, sql, data structures..With this u can get a job as a fresher if u apply to many companies and do well in interviews..but u will be allotted to any project, not necessarily development..u maybe put into other roles as well.
    But Java development is quite challenging, and core java alone is not sufficient..u need to know Core java and J2EE also..including frameworks..like Spring or Hibernate or both..atleast know 1 framework properly & specialize in that..Just login to any job portal & surf for java devpt jobs..check the requirements & develop ur skillsets accordingly..Maybe u got very few calls as ur skillsets do not suit the requirements..
    U can join some reputed training insti & do some java devpt courses for a couple of months..do some mock projects as well, assisted by the instructors..in many training institutes they arrange placements & also guide students to prepare for interviews etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. seema177

seema177 New IL'ite

thanks dear !! for your guidance ..
    i never knew i would find such a place where i will get answer to my questions ..

i would like to ask you .. whether I can show working on some of these mock projects as a sort of experience .. I browsed my job portals, even for a trainee position they normally require you to have some prior experience like of six months normally.

Is there any way out that can help me to have some experience sort of ..which i can mention in my resume before joining any firm..

8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

yes you can show mock projects..

and don't go into teaching just because some elders said so! you will end up feeling not so good about your career and eventually its not going to help the students as well..

Career is a path you create for yourself. If you feel bored, everyday would be a trouble. everyday would be a pressure.

9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I do not know much about mock projects..can u check online whether there any short term internships or contract based jobs in your area that would help you to get some work experience.. You already have work experience of 1.5 yrs right..can u utilize that to get another job?

10. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Sorry for discouraging words but
    I want to tell you that no school (except Matriculation) will hire you without a B.ed . And as per university rules you will not be eligible to do B.ed Course after a professional degree. and this way you will never get a chance to teach .
    and pay is ofcourse is not par with MNC

Also , check Kendri vidyalaya vacancies where they donot demand a b.ed for computer instructor.
    Also if you are within 30 then you can write IBPS bank exams.
    Banks pay better than schools

So if you want to have 9-5 job then consider lecturer Positions in Engineering /Arts& science college and I would recommend you to prepare NET/SLET .
    If you complete the exams then you will get a very good pay.
    Also check out TRB announcement for engineering lecturers.

In case you want to continue in IT Sector

If you have good knowledge of java, then I would suggest you to learn ANDROID Development which is now trending

Also you can write Certification Programs in Java/J2EE which will speak about your knowledge in interviews

1 person likes this.