1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How much did you spend on your InLaws when they visited you last time in US.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sslkgpaa, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Ladies,

I hope my post didn't trigger all these discussions and didn't appear insensitive towards elderly parents. On the contrary, I feel very sympathetic towards parents who come a long distance to help their adult children in a new country. I agree that they are not obligated to support child care requirement of an adult child nor it is their responsibility. In fact, hats off to such parents who come to help at least for six months.

But OP's situation appear to be different. I don't want to speak for OP but the following statements from her made it clear to me that she is open and receptive to them but for her current situation.

Where is the question of discussing about money-saving, using old parents to baby sit, etc. in this thread? How much clearer she could be than what she stated above?

Based on the above, how we can consider her as refusing to take care of her visiting in-laws, not meeting their needs to tour and making them work hard in a new country?

How much more clearer she could be than this?

If the parents are visiting to just spend time with grandchildren as indicated above, why should they compare what other kids have done for their parents? Despite this, OP is doing her best to satisfy them before they return to India. Her intentions appear to be good.

Sometimes, parents face difficulty in a new country when DIL treats them badly and they have nowhere else to go. Other times, parents are greedy, compare their children with that of others, forget the situation their adult child is in, have excessive expectations, etc.

Putting all parents or all adult children in one box is incorrect.

Viswa

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Thanks Viswa for guiding this thread back to the right path.. We went through a detour discussing things which may not relate to OP.

3 people like this.
  3. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

OP

Situation in each family is different. You have to go by what works for you without aggravating relationships in the family to a reasonable extent. My MIL is super sensitive who can see issues when there are none. She and SIL are furious if we want to take her on a long tour citing her health and are furious if she is not taken anywhere. Difficult to please. You are the one in the know. I would suggest to send them to a few well known places with the budget you feel comfortable. Avoid making this issue a bigger one in future when they return home. Believe me they can.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In one post (now don't make me go back and search through 18 pages) OP mentioned giving documents for visitor visa application years ago, and those included W2 and bank statements..

Question - is that required? Does the consulate want or need to know the entire net worth or just whether the sponsorer can support the visitors?

5. Rihana

CrayoNess, in quite a few households, which set of parents will come over is a huge discussion/fight/struggle (assuming both are able and willing).

In the days of yore, the woman went to her mom's house for delivery. Now that a parents-set goes to her house, the guy's parents want to be the ones who get to do that. Often.

2 people like this.
  6. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Jazmine,

First of all stop quoting what you plan to do and that the way you go is the only ideal way.
    I have had two kids here and I know how family leave plans works here. FMLA, CFRA and my PTO gave me almost 4 months off. I am on a visa where I cannot go on LOP leave. Moreover if you have read my thread properly you would know PILs are not invited. Rather I didnt wanted them to come coz I know why there are coming on the pretext of taking care of us. Anyway now that they are here, and we have already spent a good amount ($4500 just for their travel and insurance) With this money I could have sent my baby to a daycare for good 4 months. So now you know its not money.
    I work from home full time, cook food everyday for 4 adults, clean the house, dishes laundry and everything else I need to do to run my house. My husband once he is back from office has errands to run, apart from taking them(PIL) around (to a walk/park). We are not happy with this setup however we are trying to sail through. Now the problem is they are not happy either. They want to tour far off places where we are not prepared to take them. Now like you my ILs also think its all about money. Since you both think alike can you please tell me what should we do so that we don't spoil the relation and could send them back sooner and happy.

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is not all about money when you call grand parents for care, many Sahm women also get parents during delivery.? Are they saving any money? And How much you will save from daycare costs ,add tickets , medical insurance , extra amount for addition in family, outings , gifts .it could easily surpass double or triple day care costs. If a working couple want to avoid expense they can do so easily, you get indian nannies for less money too.

the main factor is comfort and belief that grand children are special to grand parents and they genuinely love the kids and the care they provide cannot be compared to any daycare even the best and other is not wanting to leave infants in daycare till they are bit older . But you cannot expect a maid service from visiting parents that they cook , clean and take care baby and also sit at home all the time without any expectation. If it is Mother or MIL who takes care of the baby , one needs to show gratitude.

It does not mean there are no bad apples who just use parents and those parents most probably will refuse to come next time when they are needed and same is true other way round too.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rihana

Send, don't take.

If they are savvy and aware enough to know the list of places they want to visit, they can also manage traveling by themselves. Like another member said, check out the package tours by Chinese operators.

The typical image one conjures up with grandparents is that the baby has to be pried out of their hands, and they are spoiling it rotten by always holding it and rocking it to sleep in arms.

2 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

I have recently experienced the same problem of truthfully giving my net worth just for getting a visitors visa. I can understand if the consulate ask the applicant to file their petition and then allow the sponsor to file their credential directly with the consulate. Unfortunately, the sponsor will have to give all details to the applicant and they come to know everything about the net worth of the sponsor.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

I vaguely recall once we were sponsoring a non-relative, and we gave details of a less used bank account, and didn't give the W2.