Cesarean under GA

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sadwife, Jun 30, 2015.

1. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi.
    I'm expecting my second baby next week.
    It's a planned c-sec under General Anesthesia as Spinal Anesthesia is not advisable due to my back problem.

As most of us already know GA carries some risk like permanent brain damage and death, I'm having sleepless nights thinking if anything were to happen to me who's going to look after my son.

My first pregnancy was also a c-sec under GA by different Dr at a different place. I can't stop thinking somehow I managed to get through last time but I may not this time. I'm feeling very scared and nervous.

Can those who went through c-sec under GA please share your experience with me.

Thank you for your time.

2. glimmer

glimmer Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sadwife

I delivered via elective c-section(GA) as l also have back pain problems this year January to a healthy baby boy. I think you're fretting yourself. Dont worry. You can raise your concerns with your doctor if you are feeling worried. I remember when l was wheeled in to the OT is was 8pm and l regained conscious around 11pm. My son was born around 8pm. The next day itself l was up and walking around the room slowly. Just need to be careful when you go to the toilet after the c-section. Here in Singapore the nurse will assist you to the toilet. You'll be fine and safe! Best wishes to a smooth delivery... :thumbsup

3. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi glimmer,

Thanks for your reply. Glad that you never had any negative experience with GA. I will be seeing my Dr in few days time, will voice out my concern for sure. Hope all would be fine.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sadwife, i have undergone 6 surgeries and i am an asthmatic and not supposed to be given ga. but since i have spinal injuries, i have been given ga. and only one of these surgeries was with spinal. rest 5 have been under GA.

so don't read too much information on the net, half of it is not worth taking pains to read, because it is just trash. and the rest may have more information pertaining to cases that was dealt or seen by them in person and may or may not be applicable to you.

so trust your doctor, and if you are still confused talk to her. she/he is the one who is going to help you through this.

i have been fine from the evening of the surgery.. so all the best..relax and enjoy your bundle of joy.

3 people like this.
  5. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Shanvy,

I feel relieved to some extent after reading your post but the worry and fear is not only from reading up on my own. Last year I had to go for a laproscopy and it was done under GA. Before going into the OT, the Annestheologyst read out all the risks to me before asking me to sign on it. It also included going blind and heart failure.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@sadwife it is a regular procedure. all operations and procedures do have risks. even simple paracetamol can prove fatal to a person, though it works great for 99 people. it is standard procedure to take the high risk form signature to protect against law suits..

I have signed high risk forms so many times, yeah it is scary but you don't have choices.

even spinal anesthesia can go wrong and he would have a different set of details to tell you.

just relax, think positive.

7. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Shanvy,

Yes you are right. I have no other choice. In fact I already know I have to go through this when I decided to plan for a baby again. I'm just praying to God.

8. glimmer

glimmer Bronze IL'ite

I can understand reading out all these terms just before the operation can be nerve wrecking. But l think they have a duty to perform as well. I can still remember when my gynae walked into the OT, l greeted and he told me, ALL READY! I even replied Yes all ready!!! Best wishes to you.

9. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Today my SIL told me that for her first two c-sections she was under GA but for her third one they informed her that she will be given spinal as she was already given GA twice and it may damage her brain if given GA again. She delivered the third child 10-11 years ago.

I was under GA twice. This will be the third time. I sent my MRI report to my gyane and asked her to check with the Anesthetic whether I can go for Spinal.

10. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

GA is becoming safer day by day. So don't stress too much and focus on healthy eating and exercising. Enjoy:)