1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

glass cook top

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sudha90, Jun 28, 2015.

1. sudha90

sudha90 New IL'ite

Hi all I am planning to buy a 4 burner glass cook top. I heard that we cannot use iron tava for making dosa and parantha, since it will cause the glass to break. And we cannot make phulkas directly on the flame with stand ofcourse. Is this true?. Please ladies I want your suggestions. Thank you .

2. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Useful Question. Even I have got a beautiful golden colored glass cook top. But I also have multiple doubts like Sudha. Also whether it will get spoiled with Indian cooking and subsequent cleaning. So still using my steel one.

Any reviews/tips would be most helpful.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i have a glass hob embedded into the granite and i feel the heat transmission is a little slower compared to the regular stoves. but that is expected with the flat burners i suppose compared to the regular brass burners.
    and no the glass tempered and heat resistant. though there have been very rare cases of cracking.
    and i do make phulkas directly on the flame. and i have used iron and aluminium tavas and have cooked on 12 ltr cookers full to the brim (to give an idea on weight loading ) there have never been issues. better being gentle when you know the cooking tava or container is heavy.

and cleaning is using a wet cloth and soap sponge.

precaution that could help with life of the hob is not pouring cold water on the stove when it is real hot. cleanning off the overflows, grains, and other spills if any every day if possible immediately.

4. sudha90

sudha90 New IL'ite

Thank you Shanvy for your help,but is there a difference in handling of a hob and a cook top. There was this insturction written on one of the glass cook top , not to use a panniyarakkal, gas oven on the cook top hence the doubt.

5. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

I have a glass cooktop. I use Iron Tava's and heavy iron kadai's. I am also able to do phulkas directly on the flame. Cleaning is done with mild soap and sponge. No issues.

6. Gjcoolady

Gjcoolady Senior IL'ite

I have a glass cooktop. I am using iron tawa and also make fulkas on the flame directly. There is no problem at all. Only take care not to put any hot pan or tawa on the glass or do not drop any metal/ heavy thing on the glass. Cleaning is easy with liquid dishwash and moist soft cloth when the glass is not hot.

7. sudha90

sudha90 New IL'ite

Thank you Gjcoolady and radhaparth 2000 for your replies I am convinced now and I will go ahead with a glass cook top. Which brand of cook tops are you using?

8. Gjcoolady

Gjcoolady Senior IL'ite

I hv USHA brand and it is very good. Thickness of the glass is more than many other brands,looks good and is convenient to use. I did not go for auto ignation though.

9. sudha90

sudha90 New IL'ite

Thank you Gjcoolady for your response