1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The sex - who is initiating it more?

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by Rihana, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Based on your observation, experience, hearsay, movies, media, idle speculation of the human mind or any undisclosed sources you may have, what do you think is the trend now-a-days:

Who is initiating sex more - the man or the woman in a couple? Why?

This frivolous rumination is about Indian couples, living in India or abroad, urban, educated.

3 people like this.

2. Rihana

Me thinks it used to be the man mostly, now things are evening out more. Women are starting to be explicit and expressive about their needs, and more likely to spell it as sex instead of xxx or s**.

Source? Let's stick with 'undisclosed' for now. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Well.. the source can be cited as "Primary Research"within friend circle:lol:

But yeah.. women are more open about sex, experimentation and letting the partner know what she wants:cool2:

1 person likes this.
  4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

(Putting this into parenthesis as only indian couples' views are to be discussed. I would say that there is an age factor. In the beginning of the relationship the male is more eager, as time go by the woman is the one asking. It has probably to do with the fact that the sex drive for men is at its peak when they are 20, for women when they around 40. Of course then again in the golden years maybe the men are again in the drivers seat?)

5 people like this.
  5. pbindu

pbindu Silver IL'ite

Some learning there.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I think it used to be men at least during the initial phase as women may feel a bit of shyness or uncomfortable to ask for it. But as time passes, both will become so comfortable with each other. Thus it is not gonna be a question as to who initiates. Anyone can.

Again, it is related to their age. As @CrayoNess mentioned, women's sex drive will get its' peek time when she is nearing her 40s. May be that is when she is finally settled in her marriage from the in laws issues, pregnancy, maternity, newborns, career issues etc..etc.... As they say, women always view sex not just as physical thing, but also as a mental thing. So the balance comes when the couple grow old together.

8 people like this.
  7. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

Old times..I have no idea..i think they had more sex than us, because in most homes sex was the only free entertainment....before the cable TV took over our free time. I am not sure who would have initiated more though..

Current time...recently one of my gf was asking me to help her pick out a kinky outfit for her hubby and we went shopping together scavenging all adult stores in my city ...I think we are getting more open with experimentation..and breaking all the negative stereotypes associated with sex. I know a quite a few of my friends who were in a live-in before marriage and premarital sex is accepted among lot of people in the young indian community in US. I have been to few bachelorette party of my close friends..where we almost stripped the girl naked...and made her give a bj to a banana :p...this is a close group of around 16 girls...we have a super conservative one in the group..who keeps saying ewwww to everything but she broke the record to having the highest number of times one had sex during the 1st week of marriage...we tease her a lot about it. Now, none of these girls are tamil, but they are indian. I find tamil girls to be a conservative or maybe they just did not have a chance to experiment.

I am not sure if men or women initiate more. It all depends on the drive. But one thing for sure is that with both partners working, we are not having it more often..

4 people like this.
  8. Rihana

Nice to read the responses, and they raise interesting points.

Access to internet and more open discussion about sex in the media, may be leading to women viewing it less as a duty and more as a pleasure.

While movies are not an indicator of real lives, I was struck by the heroines in movies in the past few years, who walk away from an affair without the 'you have ruined my life' drama. Recently in the movie 'Dil dhadakne do' the girl (Anushka Sharma?) seems to be suggesting candidly to the guy that their dalliance won't last beyond the cruise duration.

9. Rihana

True.

If the woman does not have the time or energy to buy and wear jasmine flowers, the couple's frequency of sex is likely to go down.

The above observation (source not disclosed) has to be read at face value - wearing jasmine is not necessary for high frequency, but having the time and inclination to wear them leads to higher frequency.

Capiche? One more try - flowers are not necessary but dispensable time is.

1 person likes this.
  10. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I think it varies as both partners go through their ages and there is peak and bottom for both the partners. However, most women may end up in playing more supportive role than aggressive role. Men are always "ready", even after arguments, they can switch gears while for us, a lot of stars need to align to really be in the "dominant" role.

Not sure what you mean by initiating - initiating full action or just start with romantic gestures and then the spouse takes over?

2 people like this.