1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel it is important to be strict with children?or playful? Share your thought

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Radan, Jun 21, 2015.

How would you behave with your children?

1. Strict

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Medium

93.3%
  3. Playful

6.7%
  1. Radan

Radan Senior IL'ite

We all love parenting.Do you feel,that we ought to be strict with our children? or behave with them just like a friend?
    Why you think so?
    Some of my friends,say it is important to be friendly with children,because they would feel comfortable to share anything with us
    But some of my friends say that,we should be strict

What is your view on being strict and playful with our children?
    Please share your thoughts :) ;-)

Note : You can also invite your friends to participate in this thread ;-) :)

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Re: Do you feel it is important to be strict with children?or playful? Share your tho

You should be a parent, gently guiding and teaching, also playing and having fun. Strict "orders", punishments is lazy parenting and do not work well.

4 people like this.
  3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Do you feel it is important to be strict with children?or playful? Share your tho

Should one eat sweets or no sweets at all? Balance.
    Should one work hard all the time, or play all the time? Balance.

Strict parent always, or playful with them always? Balance.

7 people like this.
  4. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Well.. We have to be a parent first...then friend..philosopher and guide will automatically fall in place.
    Be strict when we need to be...have fun when it is required...lend a ear like a friend when it is necessary...but advise like a parent.. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

if you go too friendly, kids will take us for granted. they are very smart!! They learn you before you learn yourself. :)

2 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the right balance works wonders in life. be it relationships, food or even simple painting. the right balance in strokes, color combination makes it or breaks it.

the one where you have control, the one where you have a nice parent-child relationship, the one where you set standards and rules to be followed without being too rigid, the one where you grow together nurturing the child, the one where you know your child is a happy individual.

being the adult in the relationship, being able to set limits and play fair, being able to respect each other. in short it is about being authoritative in the child-parent relationship instead of being the authority of the relationship.

4 people like this.
  7. Radan

Radan Senior IL'ite

Hi @CrayoNess @Ragini25 @VanithaSudhir @Swethasri @Shanvy

Thank you for your valuable comments ;-)

Hi @AprilLisa @Cool10 @CrayoNess @Shivali3 and @upfsabari

Thank you for you precious votes
    All of you have voted for 'Medium'

By the way,would you like to invite anyone into this thread? ;-) :) ;-)

Thanks a lot

8. Parvathi07

Parvathi07 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Radan
    A very nice thread

I don't agree with being too strict or playful
    We should be medium

Inviting @YellowMango to participate in the thread ;-) :) ;-)

1 person likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

^^
    This.

I wish I could be a balanced parent.I have been blamed for being a lenient mother and a lenient teacher(When I worked). My husband tries to be a bit strict ,but often fails. We have been able to enforce some rules and failed miserably in some .

In general ,rules about food and safety are non negotiable(strict).We are increasingly becoming more easy with the food rules as they grow (more like forced to).

Studies ,negotiable to an extent(semi strict)

and rest all we manage as we go.(lenient)

As long as egos are not involved,usually both parties do reach a middle ground...sometimes with smiles,sometimes with tears and accusations .Hugs and kisses along the way make things easier.

I do have friends who seem to have raised perfect kids. Perfectly mannered,don't argue,talk back or argue .I always wonder how they managed.May be they put in more hours into their kids .

2 people like this.
  10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You should be happy if your child talks back, argue, has his/her opinions! Of course you need to guide the child to do it in a constructive way (and no bad words can be used). But I would feel really bad if my child would be obedient all the time without any own will or opinions. How could they survive in the world if they are not able to fend for their self.

3 people like this.