1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

New Home Decor

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by adisum, May 15, 2015.

1. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies

I am feeling very confused right now... don't Know where to ask for some good advices...So I am here with my query...
    I am a novice in writing so pardon me for any mistakes... We are constructing our new home and the construction will be completely done by the end of this month.

Our house is a small double storey house in 450sqft of area with two bedrooms with attached bathrooms ( one on ground floor and another on first floor) , one drawing room, a small kitchen and a porch to park a two wheeler (with closed ceiling)

I want suggestions on Kitchen Tiles for Shelves ( have two options normal tiles or Granite marble tiles ) . Please tell me which one is better.

Also Suggest some tips on how to decorate the drawing room and bedrooms without spending too much.

Do me and my mom needs to prepare a list of things we need ? Or what we need to do ? (actually we are not clear of what do we need as confused by too many decor options)

Also my Mom is suddenly very stressed because of the discussions going on regarding the new things we need to buy and how are we going to place our old stuff at new place. Please tell me how to handle this and make my Mom relaxed.

I am thankful to the Moderators for this beautiful platform. I am sure i will get some good suggestions and tips from here . Feeling relax already :)

2. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

First I would recommend you to clean ur current home and separate useful things and some things never used / rarely used
    once this is done decide whether you are going to carry all unwanted things to ur new home or dump it in waste paper mart.

Reg rare used items pack all the things in boxes and make sure you have labelled it outstde clearly and move to loft in new home

Once this is done remaining things you have to carry to new home

In the new home , make sure you finish the below works before you move in

1. All Lights & Fans
    2. Ac
    3. Water heater
    4. Curtain rods
    5. Door Bell
    6.Nails for the clocks and for any photo frame you are planning to carry

7. For Mirros if you are holding above the wash basin
    8. One behind door for the broom
    9. In bathroom , fit brush holders soap holders etc
    10. In kitchen , if you have anything to hold

11. check For water purifier provision and washing machine connection
    12.For key holder/Saami photos in puja room
    13. Rods for cloth drying in balcony/terrace
    14. Get New/fresh mats for all bathrooms entrance etc and toilet cleaning brush in each room

Clean and mob the house twice or thrice before moving in.

A week before moving to new home . wash and pack almost all ur clothings . Except for few. Use it and finally pack it on the day of shifting.Similar apply for utensils in kitchen

This way you will be more relaxed when shifting and you can settle down quickly

1 person likes this.
  3. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi Abitha.... Thank you so much dear... Finally after 122 views on this thread i got a reply and that too a detailed and helpful one...

Your suggestions are really very helpful... I am gonna work on all of them literally... Though we have not much tym left now , just a week or so still I can manage most of the things you have mentioned... Thank you dear @seeabitha

4. tkswetha

tkswetha Silver IL'ite

Good checklist which will be useful for everyone who are going to shift to a new home.

1 person likes this.
  5. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

@seeabitha wonderful unfos

6. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks all.
    I recently shifted to my new home (last Feb) and this is the check list I had

7. live4today

live4today New IL'ite

hi tips for redecorating or giving a room a new look without spending much:

- lighting; spot lights can give nice effect to any room but if you are anxious about cost then adding paper lantern lights can make a room look modern and can become a feature of the room; try checking images of drawing rooms with paper lantern lights

- Flowers/indoor plants; can add nice feature to any room -just need to be looked after

- souvenirs from your travels; what else to do with all those small things we buy when we go on trips? just put them all on a nice shelf for people to see - creates an interesting topic to start conversation in the drawing room

- photos/pictures/collage of old pictures on the walls; if buying pictures with frames are bit expensive then just print out the picture of your choice from the internet (onto photo paper) and just buy a frame for it, take old pictures and make a collage so we remind people of the good times and it adds a nice personal finish to your house,cut out old pictures and stick onto large framed canvas or laminate and put under some glass on the coffee table

- revamp old items; change cushions in sofa (can very easily make your own cushion throws from old sarees or just buy some material and stitch the design of your choise, change sofa throws same way, re-pain plant pots, vases, etc

- if the room is small make sure you use light colours to make the room seem bigger

- mirrors can also add more space in the room and give a luxury feel to the room

- huge clocks or paintings- can be main feature of the room and adds interesting element to the room, paintings u can do ur self if u have some interest and some time!

thats about all i can think of for now - hope it was of some use to you :)

1 person likes this.
  8. UnnatiSri

UnnatiSri New IL'ite

good checklist very helpful...

1 person likes this.
  9. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Thank you @live4today , Your List is helping me a lot.
    M on shopping trips almost everyday and I am focussing on the tips given by you.
    @seeabitha , your suggestion has worked perfectly for us, My mom is relaxed now after we have separated the things that are of no use to us at our new place.

Thank you both for such wonderful suggestions.
    I have one more query, Anybody who have an idea can reply please.

Marble or Tiles , Which are better and durable option for flooring ?

I have heard that marbles lose their shine after 2-3 years and tiles may get cracked. Ohhh m damn confused in this. My father is fine with Marbles and my Mom with Tiles .. and I am stuck between themfaintingsmiley :rotfl

Please suggest something, if anyone have any idea regarding this.

1 person likes this.
  10. sunita1211

sunita1211 Silver IL'ite

For Flooring strong and durable will be marble , and little glossy and stylish will be Vitrified Tiles.

Also speaking of style and elegance antiques and wall paintings add to the glory of a home .
    The wall painting idea for bedrooms , paintings for living room, modern , abstract, there are many choices to beautify your home.

1 person likes this.