Library in qatar?

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by nikkypk, Jun 17, 2008.

1. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

Hi ladies
    i luv to read and since coming to qatar i hvnt been able to catch up vit my usual quota of reading...i hv been tryin to find a decent library in doha.....someone told me abt qatar national lib and "al khanza library" but their contact no.s dont seem to be working....does anyone hv more info abt these libraries or any other ones?? i wanted to know their timings ,so tht i can go and check them out .
    thnk u
    nikky

2. deekins

deekins New IL'ite

Hi nikky,

Been trying to get through to the library myself-did get through once,but the person who picked up didnt know english,so i couldnt find out anything.

The public library was closed on both the occassions i dropped in there-and there was no board put up regarding the timings

as of now,we keep buying books every now and then-and have quite a few books now as both me and my husband are into reading-if u r interested and have books to share,maybe we can swap books....

3. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

Hi divya,
    finally reply to my query..im glad to find another reader in qatar. well i hv got a couple of books vit me here in doha the rest of my collection is back home in india. I am more than ready to swap books , i hv made a list of the books tht i hv vit me, y dont u do the same and v can proceed from there . deal?
    hey by the way, i saw that ur lookin for new frds in qatar, well im nikky from kerala ,24 yrs old , vit a 5 month old baby, a stay at home for the time being ...and on the look out for new frds vit common interests... :)

heres my list of books:
    Life According to Garp- John Irving
    The Da Vanci Code- Dan Brown
    Jewels-Daniel Steele
    Cat'O'Nine Tales- Jeffrey Archer
    The Green Mile-Stephen King
    Right Ho,Jeeves- P G Wodehouse
    The GlassBlowers-Daphne Du Maurier
    The Camel Club- David Baldacci
    The Agen on the other Side- Peter O Toole
    A Thousand Splendid Suns- Khaled Hosseini
    Acts of Faith- Erich Segal
    The Notebook- Nicholas Sparks (printout)
    To Cut a Long Story Short - Jeffrey Archer (printout, and only 3 stories from the original book)
    As the Crow Flies - Jeffrey Archer (printout)

waitin for ur reply
    nikky :)

Preethi likes this.
  4. deekins

deekins New IL'ite

Hi nikky,

Good to hear back from you!Im basically from Mangalore though i was born and brough up in cochin,kerala-so thats another thing we have in common now!which part of kerala are you from?

Prisoner of Birth - jeffrey archer
    kane and able-jeffrey archer
    shall we tell the president -jeffrey archer
    the kite runner - khaled hosseini
    tuesdays with morrie-mitch albom
    the alcheimist-paulo coelho
    veronica decides to die - paulo coelho
    a quiver full of arrows - jeffrey archer
    Shantaram - gregory david roberts

havent put in all the books here-have quite a few-also,my husband reads a lot of sci-fi -am not really into it,so havent put it down here-will let you know the names if you are interested

why dont u send me your email id?maybe we can share more details like tel no etc....btw,which part of doha are you put up in?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
    Preethi likes this.
  5. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

hi divya
    ur right abt exchanging emails, well my yahoo id is nikkypk on yahoo msgr, y dont u add me and v can chat and find out more common interests , thts better than postin our details up here i guess...vat say? if u dont use yahoo let me know,v vil figure out another way to contact each other...
    hey btw im totally psyched to see u hv kiterunner, i was really interested in readin it....hv u decided vich books ur interstd in from my list?
    nikky
    see u in yahoo :)

6. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Hi Divya/Nikky,

It feels good to me, to see like-minded people around ,for book-reading...Like you two, I have a great penchant for books....I am a novel-lover to a great extent. I too have a small personal collection of books here in doha, (and some of them back in India). If you're interested you are always welcome to use some of my books too, for exchanging & reading.

Given below the list that I have with me here.

Robin Cook - Shock
    Robin Cook - Marker
    Dan Brown - Digital Fortress
    Irvin Wallace - The Second Lady
    Dean Koontz - The Husband
    Eric Seigal - Man, Woman and Child
    David Baldacci - The Split Second
    Jeffrey Archer - False Impression

Let me know your interest on them, and we can always work out a way to arrange for us to meet to exchange books.

Even I would appreciate a group discussion among book-lovers to share their views about various authors/books for the benefit of all other book-lovers here.

7. srilaxmi34

srilaxmi34 New IL'ite

Hi my dear friends,

I am very happy to find reading group in Doha. As u all told i do not have a collection of books, But am very ardent reader of books. I was thinking like preeti told, we could all meet up some place and have acquantaince and learn more about books and also ourselves.

Hoping to get a reply from you all,

Do take care,

Laxmi.

8. deekins

deekins New IL'ite

Hi Nikky/Preethi/Laxmi,

Good to hear from so many book lovers!a book group sounds like a great idea to meet up for all of us and to get to know each other and to exchange books!Maybe we should plan for a book group meet sometime soon,what do you think?

Divya

9. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

Hi divya,preethi and laxmi
    i second the idea of starting a book club, y dont v see each others collections from the above lists and choose the ones v r intersted in and meet up at one of our homes and exchange books, talk ,make friends,have tea etc?? v can rotate the meeting venues. What do you say ladies?? I wil be happy to host the first one at my place . Why dont all of you let me know what you think of this, and as well as the day and time that you will be free .
    looking fwd to your replies ladies
    :) nikky

10. srilaxmi34

srilaxmi34 New IL'ite

Hi Nikky,

Happy to hear that you are ready for the first meeting of book club.
    As you know i am quite new here, do not know my way around and also will be leaving to india on 16 of this month. So probably i can only meet u all some time later.

So keep me posted on all the developments of the club. And all the best wishes for the club.

Laxmi:party