1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Put Up With Your Inlaws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Jas8085, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

My dh is blind to everything mil does. She fills his ears with nonsense and he used to fight with me! even sil could start fights between us!! He used to totally support them and gang up against me.

We almost separated when I gathered courage after a few years. I think he realized what a loser he is being. He says hez now changed, learnt his lessons etc. but by then I had already cut ties with inlaws. So no way to test. After all that this is the first time I'm even seeing their face

2. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

3. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

Let's keep my brother, his wife out of this. If my brother is a loser, his new wife has princess syndrome and my husband has no spine - none of it is my fault. If everything was perfect, why would I be here?

to answer some of your questions,

1. My mil is educated, had a job for 35 yrs and is now retired

2. She didn't have to live with her inlaws or look after them

3. Fil is very open minded. She never had to face issues with him. Everything was done as per her wish. Mil had issues with fil's sister and they cut all contact with them.
    4. Mil cut contacts with her own parents and brothers (god knows why)

5. Forgiveness comes when people regret what they did and sincerely apologise. No regret, no apology, no intentions of changing - only fools forgive. I will only get more ****

6. I have 100% faith that my mil will brainwash my DS against me. It has nothing to do with parenting skills. If there was a psycho in your relatives, would you trust your parenting skills and let ur child interact with her? No! My child has plenty of cousins and my parents, and grand aunts and uncles (both sides) who will fill the gap.

7. I care a **** about what my mil went through in life, who was nice yo her, who wasn't, why she hates me. I really don't care. It doesn't matter what our circumstances are, there is never an acceptable reason to mess someone's happiness or break someone's home. It's always wrong. Nothing justifies it

8. Babies cry - they are innocent. I've never come across a baby who harasses a pregnant woman. I've never come across a baby who doesn't let a new mom sleep or eat. If my mil is a baby, what am I then? Born witch? I'm a baby too! And people who starve babies, insult them, hurt them, make them cry - what do you call such people?

9. No one likes being put down. Neither do i. I didn't start it. I was nice and civil to them. They started all the crap. Why does it become so wrong if I shut them out? My husband MUST react when I'm being put down. Oh it only hurts when I say his parents are bad - how convenient. It doesn't matter what they do or say to me! Marriage or some slave trade?

10. Inlaws and old age? They should have thought about it when they were being mean to me? They should have thought about it when they tried to get us separated? They should have thought about it when they harassed me in pregnancy and post partum period? When they belittled, taunted and insulted? They made their choices then. Again, they chose it, it's not my fault !

11. I have the power to change things. But I will never do anything that will cost me my self respect.
    Finally, you perhaps think you are handling it better than me. You probably are, but don't see my circumstances through your glasses.

4. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

2 people like this.
  5. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

Dear Jazmine,
    You are just newly engaged, rose tinted glasses on, etc. when you get married, I really hope your mil is really really nice to you. I rest my case, I can no longer reply to you. You don't understand my situation. Mils are babies? You are in a different world. No point. THank u for taking time to reply on my thread.

6. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

I see a lot more going on here!

If you are this unhappy...is this marriage worth it to you? It seems like your husband is not offering you any protection or support...sorry your are stuck in a situation like this :(

7. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

I did not say MILS's are babies...I said it is an inborn trait that we are born with...negative attention seeking trait...

You do not have to reply...wish you good luck with everthing

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Op,

It is clear you are extremely hurt by all the events that have already taken place in your marriage. Over time your patience, and flexibility have given out, you started questioning their actions and later even fighting back as you knew how. From your post, I feel that you are now in super alert, full fledged battle mode, ready to charge in the minute your ILs cross your threshold in this visit.

1. Please please calm down. Your posts reveal a great deal of angst, anger and anxiety. all this anger and agitation in the weeks preceding their arrival is not doing you any favors. Just be normal and enjoy these last few days. You cannot stop them from coming. you tried but were unsuccessful. It is inevitable that they will visit you in a few weeks. So now turn your attention to 'how to mitigate' and how to survive their visit with minimum casualties with a calm mind.

2. Stop continuously replaying those past incidents when they hurt you. Those incidents will not repeat. They are in the past. First of all at that time when those incidents happened you were naive, or trusting or ready to give benefit of doubt or simply didnt know to what extent they can go. That is why they were able to hurt you. Now that is not the case any more. You are no longer naive, you dont trust them at all and you will not give them the benefit of doubt anymore. So you will deal with each situation as it arises then and there. Just repeat this to yourself each and every time you start feeling upset and agitated. Forgive yourself for those past incidents when you allowed them to hurt you and trust in your ability to handle each situation as it arises in the future.

3. It may help you to visualize how you plan to spend your day during their visit and decide clearly on a few things. How much and what all you are going to do for them, under what conditions, and where exactly you are going to draw the line. Use this time to decide those specifics. If there are some key areas of contention which you know are always an issue and have always been now then you decide what is going to be your response now itself. For such situation anticipate and make ready your response -- you will x, y or z -- each option designed to withdraw you from the situation with minimum argument or discord and maximum dignity.

4.After you clarify your own thoughts about these, you should have a frank talk with your h about them. Let him know that since he has decided to invite them over your objections you draw the line at a, b or c action, you will only tolerate p, q and r, and that your course of action will be x,y and z should situation m,n or o arise. Warn him clearly that you will do this and that he has to manage his parents and the fallout.

1 person likes this.
  9. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Its really good that you are in such control wrt this relationship. If you dont mind just get a tiny little more control over the emotions. Its consuming you with the anger, fear, stipulations.
    Having said that, its really impressive you thinking of this trip from every possible angle.
    I've noticed from experience, when we come to think of worst possible outcome and are prepared for it, we are in very secure and steady mindset. Can handle anything.
    So good luck i'm sure you'll handle it well.
    I would also suggest, if they stop with the non sense, try to be ok with them. It would be a pleasant surprise for DH. Earn you some good points
    Good luck

nakshatra1 and katochsimi like this.
  10. friendlyaqua

friendlyaqua Bronze IL'ite

We really cannot comment as you might have really gone through a hell but be careful you dont instill any wrong notion in your son's head. He is very small and they observe a lot. You seem to be a lot frustrated, I can hear you screaming only by reading your posts. Am only worried about your kid who must be listening to your and your husband's arguments, we never know whom he might chose to be right.

Handle things patiently so that once he grows up, you shouldnt be there for a surprise and then you will feel that all that you did to protect your kid has gone in a wrong direction.