Shaving armpit hair - gender discrimination?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

gasp. racist. :rantkidding. :p

1 person likes this.
  2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

so cholly, who else do you fake as other than Naksh in PMs to random ilites?

4 people like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Didn't Miley Cyrus do something like posting a selfie with armpit hair to support as a feminist?

Whatever... Is it not to emphasis the point that to shave or not is our personal choices....? That Someone should not be looked down just because they didnt...? Do they not joke that French women don't shave? Also seen in Dubai, Europeans not done eyebrows as well. Its their choices isn't? Likewise I think. If its okay for men to have theirs unshaved well its our right as well. Nothing Uncivil about it, because Clear armpits doesn't define femininity! This is the feminist arguments behind this I think... :roll:

1 person likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Going by that article, looks like 'gender inequality' is an easy term to throw around. If we are talking about qualified women earning less in same job than men, or being passed over for promotions, that is clearly gender inequality.

If a woman wants to go about with unshaven arms, legs, armpits or not done eyebrows, she has that choice. If a man wants to wear jewelry that looks feminine, he has that choice. That such choices usually cause raised eyebrows : ) is hardly 'inequality.'

Cases where I am not sure about whether it is inequality - how women politicians or public figures are evaluated for looks and grooming more than men. Example: Male TV presenter wears same suit for a year The male news anchor wore the same suit for a year and no one noticed.

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

How is this not a gender inequality issue? If Sallu bhai can walk around showing off his bare chest & hairy armpit as a symbol of machoness, is it acceptable beauty standards for his heroine to show off theirs? Or will any female model walk the ramp with a hairy armpit? Disgusting isn't? But this is not the case for Sally Bhai or any Male deodorant models for that matter... Those Chinese protestors are trying to break this stereotype in beauty standards...IMHO

6. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

To let you all know,

The first prize winner got free condoms,
    The second prize winners got free vibrators,
    and the third prize winners got female urination devices !! :coffee

Entertaining read, is all I can say! To each, her(hair?!) own!

4 people like this.
  7. Rihana

Hmmm... with Sallu bhai's entry, maamla-matter is getting confusing now. :)

Females who walk the ramp are likely to be thin. Plump females need not apply. Is that a discrimination/ inequality?

A male model with sparse chest hair or who is significantly effeminate looking might not be a model. Is that 'wrong' or discrimination or inequality?

It is mother-land, mother-tongue, mom's house that a married woman longs for, and father's last name for child. Sleeveless tops are OK for women to wear in most occasions. Sleeveless t-shirt is OK only for beach-wear or very hot days for men. A working woman can wear skirts that allows much needed airflow, men have to wear formal pants, even in humid weather. Inequality?

Women in India can mostly wear both sarees, kurtis, churidars and western wear, while in most offices, men cannot wear dhoti/veshti even on 'casual Friday.' Inequality?

A woman with sparse facial or other unwanted hair is called 'you are so lucky!' by friends. A dude with smooth skin ... Oops.. I forgot what I was going to type!

5 people like this.
  8. Rihana

Curiosity got the better of me, and I went and googled what is a female urination device... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_urination_device looks like it is to help women pee standing.

I have to say that beats perching precariously while squatting Indian style on western style toilet. Yes, BTDT. Thank you. :oops:

You shocked? Well, necessity is the mother of invention, and the female urination device has come a decade or two too late for me. :)

Oh.. it is 'mother' of invention, not father... In which inequality column should that tick-mark go? :)

1 person likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

What is the case of Burkas then? Religion? Discrimination? Gender inequality?
    While the men of Arab countries safely wear white traditional clothes y are women to wear all black burkas in this summer heat? Religion? Discrimination? Inequality?

Feminism is never ending argument. Also a complicated one... "Leave her hairy. Leave her be. " That is their message, take it or leave it! :)

10. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

My favorite scene in my wedding video.

The pandit energetically saying the wedding vows, raising one of his arms to get a good scratch of his summer-armpit, and me forgetting my 'blushing-bride' pose for a min to shoot a scornful look at him.

MY armpits were still burning from the previous day's torturous "Bridal Wax", you see!

As you might have guessed, this is a topic close to my heart! (umm..shoulders?)
    :rotfl

4 people like this.