1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

bedroom furniture?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chaaral, Jun 23, 2009.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks Srividhya and Tashi.
    I will check the roomstogo and dealers.

Tashi, yes we can refinish it, thats what i thought too. we got a heavy good wooden coffee table which we plan to sand it and refinish and see how it goes. if the end result is good then we might think of doing it again. problem is i am preg and cannot sand. so have to depend on dh to do all the work, moreover here it is rainy all the weekends and couldn't try our hand on that piece.
    will check the advertisements. any suggestions or tips for refinishing furniture?
    i plan to ( actually dh) sand it, then apply two coats of varnish and then polyeurathane ( not sure if this is needed).

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Charaal
    Here is a basic link of info for refinishing:
    Refinishing Furniture

I think you will need to do less sanding than you think if you use a stripper but your husband should do that outside.

You will use either varnish or polyurethane but not both. Also a stain will probably be needed.

I am out of town...will help you more when I get back.

Tina

3. tashidelek2002

Charaal
    Here is a basic link of info for refinishing:
    Refinishing Furniture

I think you will need to do less sanding than you think if you use a stripper but your husband should do that outside.

You will use either varnish or polyurethane but not both. Also a stain will probably be needed.

I am out of town...will help you more when I get back.

Tina

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Tashi,
    thanks for the link. i didn't want to use stripper even though dh is going to do outside, we thought we will try first with sanding, as the table top has lots of scratches. it is light coloured only.
    i meant stain but typed as varnish. i thought of staining with dark colour like mahagony or something similar and then polyurethane coat.
    again this weekend is raining :-( so this project gets postponing!

Thanks,
    Chaaral

5. tashidelek2002

Charaal:
    Do you have any sanding equipment? It will be tough going if you just use the sandpaper sheet in your hand. Also, if the table is veneered don't go too deep on the sanding. Depending on how the top looks, another idea is to fill the damage if you can't sand it off and then paint the top and have wooden legs. You see this look in lots of new furniture.
    Tina

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Tina,
    yes have a small sander and checked with homedepot. the legs and sides are smooth, only top has lots of scratches and small pin holes. i think it is not veneered. veneered meaning the shiny mica kind of top right? if thats right then it is not. i think it is just wood. it is in golden colour, so we wanted it to match with other pieces in the room with similar stain.
    there is one small crack in the leg, so we have to fill it there.
    once we finish it will post a pic,hopefully it is sunny during the weekends.

thanks so much Tina.

7. tashidelek2002

No, veneer is a very thing layer of a more expensive wood that is glued over a less expensive wood so don't go through it if you have that.

Looking forwrd to your finished project!!

8. slevapaul

slevapaul New IL'ite

Bedroom furniture reflects the total beauty of the home. It completely changes the entire look of the home and there are wide range of bedroom furniture available in the market. It is better to purchase from the reputed brands otherwise buy it online.

9. UnnatiSri

UnnatiSri New IL'ite

i bought my bedroom furniture online.they have great designs and numerous choices....