1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

going all natural

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by han412, Jun 11, 2015.

1. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I have stopped using soap on my body since the past 8 yrs.
    Stopped using face wash since 1 yr.
    Stopped using toothpaste
    or tooth powder since 2 months. No complaints of bad breath , whiter teeth.
    No chemicals , have turned a shade fairer, clear skin, acne cleared up.
    Excellent results of all of the above.

Now I want to quit using shampoo. Scareeeed. Anyone here tried that?

1 person likes this.

2. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

what you are using for brushing your teeth??

1 person likes this.
  3. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I use reeta for washing hair, also known as soap nuts or kunkudukai(telugu)

1 person likes this.
  4. Ishika009

Ishika009 Senior IL'ite

Sounds interesting. I have never tried something like this before. What do you use to wash your face?

5. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I started out by using some homemade mixtures daily but eventually found them too time consuming. Now I wash with plain water( my face too) and use something from my kitchen on sat or sun.
    I brush my teeth with plain water and a toothbrush and do oil pulling googlesmiley While watching my fav serial daily.

6. Cgeorge

Cgeorge New IL'ite

Hey,

It is wonderful to know u are not using anything except plain water. I do the same but only for face. I am still using soap for body and shampoo for hair. I have given up on Deo and perfumes.
    Like yourself, I also want to quit shampoo and conditioner. With this intention, I bought some Soap nuts. I have used it multiple times when i was maybe 10 yrs old.
    I decided to try it again. Followed the process of boiling 10-15 soapnuts for 20 mins (2 boils and simmer).
    After it cooled, I tried to wash my already oiled hair with the strained Soapnut water. Here is what happened,
    - There is no lather at all, please also consider the fact that the water i use is very hard water
    - since I was getting impatient and worried, I started to rub too vigorously and started observing too much hair fall like as if I was pulling my hair out.
    - I stopped, rinsed and used my usual shampoo.
    - Since all the mess, my hair remain oily.
    - Next mrng, I poured a little soapnut water and rinsed, observed no hairfall.
    - washed with shampoo again.

I really want to quit shampoo but unable to find a solution for this. Maybe you can get some pointers on what NOT TO DO from my post :). All the best for the Going all Natural way :)

7. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

I use natural products only occasionally as am too lazy.

I use plain salt for teeth once a week otherwise use Dant Kanti by Baba Ramdev, It has stopped sensitivity in my teeth since last 1 year. If you have time/ place and access twigs of Neem are the best brush but messy.

For body I use Ubtan - a paste of besan or whole wheat flour, milk, haldi, and oil. It is specially good in winter when the skin can get dry and itchy, Even otherwise it makes your skin fairer, smooth and glowing. For fragrance you can add rose water.
    If your skin is very oily use less oil. in this flour acts as scrubber, haldi is for smoothness, fairness and anti bacterial, Milk for fairness and smoothness, oil for nourishing the skin.

Mix these like loose paste. For better results when you use it on body rub and let sit for a minute. It will dry and then you can rub up and down, and it will start coming out like small pellets and darker in color- with your dirt. You can of course use it as soap and wash off after using also.

For hair you can use Reetha water. But NOT on after applying oil. Some people use Henna as conditioner but it gives a tint to your hair which is not every one's cup of tea. Another thing My mother used was Shikakai > I dont know what it is or where to get it too.

I am intrigued that you use only water for teeth. But then probably oil pulling helps. I have never tried it though know about it. will try now. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I used ubtan years ago under my grandmother's watchful eye, but I don't bother with it any more.

We used a paste of besan, haldi, milk, rosewater and sandalwood. No oil.

If you use it like shobhamma described — letting it dry and rubbing it off — it also gets rid of superficial body hair.

1 person likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Shikakai ... my grandmother made us use that, too.

She used to make an extract of 5 ingredients — reetha, shikakai, amla, some yellowish root for fragrance and one more thing. Something beginning with u?

She soaked it overnight, then boiled it, strained it and we washed our hair with the liquid while it was still warm. IIRC, one of the ingredients (amla, I think) darkens hair color.

1 person likes this.
  10. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

@Amica, did the ubtan lighten you over the years?