1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discouraging child from pursuing medicine career

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Jun 10, 2015.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@sokanasanah...welcome back!

1 person likes this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I work for a pediatric surgeon, and many of my colleagues are residents, fellows and doctors. They are amazing people and the job satisfaction they get is incomparable. However it is a long, hard road so it is definitely not for the faint of heart.
    the rewards are many though and medicine in America can assure a secure, extremely high-paying career ( depending on the speciality) and is rewarding on many levels. Once you get through the workload if training the actual lifestyles can be as hectic or as cushy as you want. One of my friends is an ER doc. She works for 15 days a month for $250k a year. If she chooses she can work more for more money. The salaries of surgeons, dermatologists, radiologists and anesthiologists can be jaw dropping, especially if they get into hospital administration or private practice.
    However to get to the higher levels a good deal of passion, drive and talent is necessary. The training and selection process can be ruthless.

1 person likes this.
  3. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

You never answered what is F22? I am not good with "texting" language or other types of abbreviations but knowing you, I cant imagine you going for that.

The only F22's I can think of is the stealth aircraft.....and if so- yes they will look awesome in pink ....:biggrin2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQj3nv_CmOo

Oh I heard this joke that I thought was funny- Bill's issues: sex drive, Hillary's - hard drive and Rubio's "cant drive"

Sorry for diversion. On topic- I think parents can advise their child on anything but they should encourage their child to pursue their dreams.

1 person likes this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I Feel to be successful in medicine , one needs to be extremely passionate about it and should have the capabilities to endure the rigorous course.
    i would discourage my child if I see the child does not have requisite capabilities in my view . Getting into medicine with so so capabilities is not good for their future , there are other comparatively much easier career paths which will give them comfortable life and work satisfaction . It also depends on what career props lefts are available at thier times .

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That is such a tough question Rihana!

I have seen kids who were absolutely certain medicine is the way to go and pursue while I listened to moms feeling proud yet worrying about marriage and stuff like that while the kids took close to 12 years including specializing.

I am yet to see a kid who has pursued medicine and felt that was not the way to go.

But this year is when many kids I know have graduated and except for one or two who are in medical school/courses, almost everyone is in a premed course. They seem to want to explore other subjects of interest as minors and allow themselves some wiggle room.

I personally feel that is a wiser way to go - will I advise that to my kids? Yes. Contrary to what you speak of your friend, my DS is absolutely certain of what he doesn't want to do and that is medicine :) So I watch and advise where asked mostly referring this book to any child that wants to do medicine Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End: Atul Gawande: 9780805095159: Amazon.com: Books :biggrin2:

So to your question, I think I will go the route of offering my opinion, even set up a couple of relevant meetings, also expect them to do some work in high school in the subject - mostly prepare them for the rigor and if that is the way they want to go, I will support, absolutely. I might also encourage premed courses....but if the child is sure, absolute backing is the way I will go.

2 people like this.
  6. Pomegranite

Pomegranite Bronze IL'ite

Hey Rihana,
    Only you know best for your child, but as a doctor I have to say that it is one of the best career decisions in terms of long term financial freedom and career flexibility. If they want to be a doctor, and they can get into school, then I would support it if it were my child.
    Regards,
    Amita

1 person likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I was referring to the fighter jet. I did link to it in my previous post.

Ha, ha, I should have known that there'd be a pink combat aircraft somewhere! :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  8. sokanasanah

Rihana's original post raise four separate issues, that are best dealt with separately:

(1) What is the role of parents, advisors and other well wishers in channeling the enthusiasms and energies of young students? How is this best done?

(2) Pros and cons of medicine as a career.

(3) Is differential encouragement justifiable for boys vs girls?

(4) And somewhat tangentially - is pre-med a good option for a major as an undergraduate?

1 person likes this.
  9. sokanasanah

Considering the easy (and admittedly tangential) issue first:

A pre-med major is a sub-optimal option for a bright, motivated undergraduate. It is useful to remember that this 'major' has its origins not in a field of inquiry, but as a marketing arrangement based on consumer demand. Kids want to be doctors, so let's give them what they need to apply to med-school spake the provost. For a student, it's not the best way to spend four years of your life, a small fortune and all that youthful energy.

Moreover, if the kid gets into med-school, then all is cool, but if they change their mind along the way, or sadly, fail to get in, then they are put in an unenviable position of having to address this 'failure' in every interview, for many years to come - "Hmm, I see here that you were a pre-med major ... what happened? How come you want to work for Goldman-Sachs?"

A sharp student is far better off pursuing a substantive major in any field that really interests them - engineering, maths, physics, chemistry ... whatever, anything, as long as you drink deep - before applying to med school. Go ahead and explore a bit, but make an effort to master one field. With a good academic advisor or two, it will do wonders for your intellectual maturity, far more than a wishy-washy pre-med.

So, boys and girls, let uncle S mess with your callow young heads - no pre-med for you!:rotfl

PS: I should point out that the better universities do not offer pre-med 'major', but a pre-med track with a 'real' major.

4 people like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Exactly my thoughts...

My opinion is based on what I know and have seen, which is admittedly not much since we have no medical professional in close family or friends.

Many nice responses. Will read again and respond later. Have to go help a friend who has not one or two but three graduation ceremonies happening this week. She is so emoshional this week. :) Topic for another thread- are there too many 'graduations' in the U.S. of A. :)

2 people like this.