Our immediate reaction upon disasters

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, May 14, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Although I have never been a victim of this sort, I have personally seen the victims and witnesses of war and natural disasters a lot.

Upon watching some you-tube clips on the Nepalese Earthquake, I am forced to start this thread here.

For God's sake, nothing as such should happen to us. I pray God to save us, as well as to give the needful strength to those who are facing tragedies now.

Having said that, what would be your first reaction upon surviving a natural or man made disaster?

Let us have some insights as a matter of emergency preparedness.

Mods please move this thread it doesn't suit here. However, I wish to relate this with relationship forums, as Family comes first for many

2 people like this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I would immediately ensure my immediate family plus my mom are safe. So, I would act as a warden to send them out safely. One person really needs to take the lead. At least for a head-count during panic times.

I would never ever risk human lives for properties. The greatest mistakes of so many victims is their attempt at the last moment secure some cash, valuables and documents when they flee. Your life is more important than them.

Always better to have an emergency bag ready - You may change the items as time elapses. Please include your little ones basic stuff such as formula, any imptn medicines, nappies, feeding bottles etc..etc... and sanitary pads, towel, some tissues, snacks and water in it. Just a small bag that could be carried easily at times of emergency.

Always hold your little ones instead of giving them directions. They may panic go scattered. Locating them would be difficult.

Always keep yourself informed about the warnings and alerts.

More importantly, trust in God and believe your self - that you can survive.

Although the disaster happens just like that, the after effects only kill the people.

Just thought of sharing this... Friends, please do share if you have any good tips.

4 people like this.
  3. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @SGBV,

Very good and valid question.I also used to wonder what will happen if something like this happens to us and how will we survive or how to protect our dear ones.

After witnessing Tsunami in Chennai,I have took 4 sets of xerox of all our important documents and kept in a folder and I have placed those folders in my living room cupboard and 2 bedrooms cupboard.Also I have kept emergency medicines and all these I have kept in a small bag,So in case of emergency we can take only the bag and walk out.I keep changing the medicines every month.

More insights in this will be helpful for all.

3 people like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@harini73

Documents are important too. You have given a good idea of having the copies of the documents in folders. Also, alternatively scan them and save them on-line somewhere secured with a PW key. In any case, you have them at least.

1 person likes this.
  5. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV,

Yes.Good idea.Scanning the documents is safer and we can access later where ever we are.

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi all,

having felt tremors in North India I can say one needs to be prepared.....we usually live in high raise apartments and the best way I feel is to not rush towards stairs rather be in outer rooms like the one next to balcony(not on balcony)be away from glass windows ,electronic gadgets and squat with arms covering ones head.....

when outside one needs to stay away from buildings (very difficult when there are towers of apartments all around you)...if driving then park and get out immediately .
    I wish Indian schools would also hold fire drills as they do in west ....I am going to suggest it this time in PTM.

In the grab and run bag I would add some money ,First aid box and dry fruits....
    and most important talk to ones husband and kids what has to be done and who would take care of whom(like hubby taking charge of elder child while I am in charge of younger )
    kids if they are out playing should immediately run away from buildings(show then where ) and not come looking for parents.....

3 people like this.
  7. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV ,

Good thread that you have started here. :goodidea: . Thank you.

Could understand how you would have felt during war days at your homeland. Peace at last.

Main thing ,as you all have said ,is not to PANIC. Easier said than done. So it is better to prepare ourselves before hand always mentally and as well physically as we know that any thing might go wrong any time. This definitely is not negative tendency but precautious safe guarding.

As far as my preparedness, why wait for disasters, even for day to day living , let me clarify here that I am not a negative minded person, but at the same time I will always ask myself what if something unpleasant happens this day ?

That includes any thing related with my husband, kid or even myself. Since I do not know driving, living here in the US not know to drive is really a handicap, I will be alert to seek whatever help from wherever corner.

I also keep good relationship with my neighborhood people. My neighbors, security person, maintenance people with whom I come into contact on daily basis. My son's school teachers also know us as some body new in the neighborhood and are happy to help.

Here in US ,unlike in India or other developing countries, their Disaster management is equipped and used well. Even a child knows to dial 911 when in emergency. Such is their informative education. In India due to heavy population and general unawareness among people, we end up losing many lives and valuables which could be avoided through proper people inclusion for tackling such calamities.

We as people who generally follow a routine life, should be knowing of each others whereabouts. So even if we are struck in calamities, other person will know where to search for us, instead of panicking and go about randomly wasting time precious and energy.

I agree with @Harini73 , for what all to keep ready should any thing bad happens. I also do this.

And above all, as you said , we should believe GOD, who has some thing in store for us. He will not let us down. Help will be given to those who are wise to seek !!

Regards,

Pavithra

2 people like this.
  8. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

Thats an excellent idea you have there. Keep an emergency bag ready, that contains all basic necessities of survival. Always be prepared. You never know what would happen, but be prepared for it. For when it happens, we would know exactly what needs to be done.

As for the reaction, before reading this post, I thought, how can we judge that? You have to react according to situation. You cannot presuppose anything about disaster. Because natural disasters are such that, when they happen, they happen to really test you. They can get the better of you. At that time only your temperament can save you. You have to have to be emotionally intelligent during those times. And during that time if anyone close to us are away, that can make us really worried. And this can distract us, clouding our mind. So, we have to be emotionally intelligent during these times and then everything follows. Just my opinion.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for your reply. It is true, natural disasters happens only to test us, and we can't predict it or react to it as we plan. The causalities are also not in our hands, because we never know where we end up when such a tragedy happens. However, having a clear emergency preparedness and awareness on certain things like this will definitely help at such times of tragedy.

If we are destined to die, then no matter what, we must accept it. But what if we are survived? That's the toughest task to handle. That is what preparedness is important.

I too have discussed such a thing at the last PTM here, and suggested that primary schools must create some awareness in this regard to the kids.

When Tsunami happened in Sri Lanka, the mothers and kids formed the majority of the causalities. Because the kids went missing, and mothers were panicking thus they could not save themselves or the other kids.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

Yes, you're right. We should have a prepared plan. But I think the plan can only include the bag that you're talking about. About other things, I'm not so sure. For other things of planning, an efficient warning system should be applied. A warning system that would tell us about the incoming natural disaster at least 1 hr prior to its arrival such as Tsunami, cyclones. During these natural disasters our planning can be very effective. But as for earthquake. This is one natural disaster, that comes without warning. We are all left to ourselves to take quick actions based on our location, emotions, and knowledge about all possible exits.