1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

cutlery or hand?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Huma, Mar 17, 2008.

1. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi huma,

good topic to discuss....i prefer to eat dosai, chapati etc with hands and the rest with cutlery...be it at home or outside...one reason is that i hate food getting under my nails...another is that most of the food courts and restaurants abroad dont have a good old wash basin for hands...im not satisfied abt wiping hands with paper napkins...especially the gravies get stuck to fingers and form unsightly stains...though with parathas, naan etc...it is difficult to eat it with hand and scoop up the side dish with spoon...i hardly use knife because im vegetarian and so no need to butcher the meat on plate...

2. fragrance

fragrance New IL'ite

good topic,

yes even me i eat with my hand at home and in restaurants. sometimes my hubby prefers me to eat with spoons in big restaurants but i m not comfortable so i dont eat.
    even in my office where 90% are all westerners i eat by hand. once or twice they did comment in the start but when i replied back that i m comfortable like that only they were quiet.
    i very very rarely eat by cutlery.

3. RemyaSatya

RemyaSatya Bronze IL'ite

I usually eat with my hands, even in restaurants. .. Unless it's some official dinner includes foreigners. As Vedic wisdom., its said that eating with hands we feed not only to body but also to our mind and spirit.

"Our hands and feet are said to be the conduits of the five elements. The Ayurvedic texts teach that each finger is an extension of one of the five elements. The thumb is agni (fire) -- you might have seen children sucking their thumb, this is nature's way of aiding the digestion at an age when they are unable to chew; the forefinger is vayu (air), the middle finger is akash (ether -- the tiny intercellular spaces in the human body), the ring finger is prithvi (earth) and the little finger is jal (water),"

4. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi,

i too prefer my hands to eat food , at home and restaurants.

I am vegetarian, so I think eating idlies dosas rotis etc is more suitable to eat with hands and not really bothered about any raised eyebrows.:)

regards,
    resmij

5. previ

previ Senior IL'ite

Interesting question. I eat Indian food at home with my hand. If I make Chinese or Italian food, I prefer cutlery. Outside if it is idli, dosa its hand. Gravy dishes and non-Indian food, I again use cutlery. They normally use a lot of color in outside food and I don't like stained nails.

6. Reila

Reila New IL'ite

It depends on the type of food that I eat. Foreign food for example is always eaten with chopsticks or cutlery. But I eat indian food with hands