1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen garden in the balcony of an apartment - Possible?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by satchitananda, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Rakhii :biggrin2: It is gift from an aunt and I like that nook....

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@srama,
    The ghost peppers our nursery sells are the Assamese 'bhut jolokhia' and 'Naga morich' varieties. If the ones you have are the same, these are some atrociously spicy chilies, even more than habaneros. My eyes and nose start reacting even when I am just cutting them. Take care with them.

1 person likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii,
    I use Italian basil for pesto when I want to use up a whole bunch quickly. If there are fewer leaves, then I make caprese salad: toss togther some marinated mozarella balls/fresh mozarella slices, good sliced tomatoes (different colors in summer look pretty) and lots of fresh basil. Drizzle with olive oil, a little salt and freshly cracked pepper and serve with some crusty bread.

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Malstrom,

Thanks for that heads up! It indeed is bhut jolokhia and while buying I did mention to my DS that they must be from India. He is at that age where he wants to do crazy stuff like showing off yup, almost a teen and he thinks he can handle the spice! Will watch out.

Thank you!

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Got some worms from a person doing vermicomposting in Malleshwaram. Bought some more stuff from her. My cluster bean stems broke (partially) in the hail storm and the rains. So tried some home repair - out of 4 plants, 2 are still alive and growing. Repair: Stuck with scotch tape. :crazy :spin Desperate situations require desperate measures. Just went by the logic - if a torn bit of flesh is repaired with stitches or a bone with a rod, then a partially cut stem might just stick together, transport nutrients and may grow fresh cells to survive. Who knows? No harm in trying.
    Plant repair - will it work.jpg
    This was done on 26/4. Shall wait a few more weeks to decide if it is working or not.

Got this stuff from the lady:

https://www.facebook.com/nityajaivi...41829.501447049956652/626873374080685/?type=1

Very convenient for a small balcony. Got some seeds also from her and have replanted beans, bottle gourd, cucumber, karela and chikidi (she told me this was one more kind of bean, but am not sure what it is). Have also planted one chowchow today. Got amaranth which needs to find its way into a pot.

5 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Wow. Me thinking oh getting that next year. Saw it was available in some www.

you have mosquito menace. We have that and too dense plants the municipality asks us to reduce

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

No, Shanvy, not too much of mosquito menace. Also using panchagavya (of course, shall have to wait till the plants grow and the rains stop) helps contain the menace, I am told.

8. krvchitra

krvchitra Bronze IL'ite

Hi looked at all the pics wonderful hobby and it is a good stress buster. Whenever I find a flower or any new sapling comes out the joy is boundless.
    Good green growing ladies
    Chitra

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

You are right Chitra. Really enjoyable hobby.

10. satchitananda

So far, so good. My scotch-taped beauties.

Scotch - taped beauties - so far so good 1 wk.jpg

4 people like this.