1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I start solids at 5.5 months?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Sandhya13, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes it is ok to eat ghee and curd together. Ghee does not have any milk solids. Ghee is just pure fat.

@Sandhya Babies do not know the taste of salt. They do not know if dal rice tastes better with salt or without it. It is best to avoid salt until 1 year of age.

1 person likes this.
  2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

hi @Sandhya

Yes my girl eats happily everything and does not create problems other than lot of mess around. Sometimes in the evenings she does not eat well.

She gave me problem only first few weeks 2-3 weeks before actually started eating. She probably did not know this is food and she can eat that. Some may not like it but I was literally forcing it in her... Now I try to give her everything but very small bites and no chilies.

One thing.. in the beginning and with every new food, watch your baby for night time crying or aches and poops color and constipation.

I do give her ghee and curd together. Like other poster, she loves yogurt and can eat everything ( even sand ;-) ) with yogurt. So if she does not eat something - like upma (with ghee in it), paratha bits ( ghee ) , it put it in yogurt and feed her.

3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 - I am very glad that your baby girl likes to eat now. :) Keep it up little cutie :thumbsup

4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for taking time to reply to me.

I started solids for my DS last weekend and it went well. I gave him pressure cooked and mashed carrots and he liked it. Since he was interested in eating solids, I gave him twice the second day (morning and evening). He did good and have no problems so far. Tomorrow I am planning to give apple.

2 people like this.
  5. sanrags

sanrags Bronze IL'ite

hi,

my Ped suggested not to give fruits till they are 8 month. My baby is same age as urs.she was giving me hard time for carrots. but now oki.I pressure cook carrots, grind them and feed them.

planning to try sweet potatoes and squash :)

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@sanrags - By fruits, did your ped mean citrus fruits? Not sure about all the fruits. I have been giving her banana/apple/berries from the beginning ( 5.5 months)

7. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

this is good age to start semi solids. it also depends on the baby. Start with veggies, cause fruits tend to be sweeter and once they start liking it they might not eat veggies. Try avacado, sweet potato.

8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@anahita - I understand what you are talking about. I've heard this from some of my friends as well. Luckily for me, my boy did not show any preference for sweet taste. He ate both fruits and veggies so far. Thank you for dropping in!