1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Tricky MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by deeprapriya, Apr 16, 2015.

1. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I have seen a lot of forums in indusladies and am a regular reader of IL.

Here is my story:

I got married in 2011. Arranged marriage. My husband is the elder one and he has a brother. My MIL is a teacher.(You would Laugh!!!). She was my class teacher in 5th standard. We are distant relatives as well. Thats how the proposal came and ended up in marriage.

About me: I am working in IT. MY husband is a Civil engineer works for TN govt.

About My MIL:

She is the familiar person to many in my town as she was a teacher/HM in a school. She has a very good name like a nice lady,helps poor ppl by lending money. Seeing this name, my parents decided to get me married. Even, I too believed the same.

The real story:

As I had very good opinion about my MIL, I used to call her daily during the initial days and share any office news/personal news. Later slowly, I understood her. Unnecessarily my husband will come and fight with me, saying 'How can you tell this to my mom'. Then I understood, she is twisting topics. I stopped sharing such items. There came the first gap.

My husband calls her daily and update each everything from what I cooked to what I said. She started forcing him for having a baby. And I am pregnant immediately after marriage. Then the real issues started.

Once I was watching tv and eating. After finishing food also I was sitting as I couldnt get up because I was pregnant. My husband took my plate also and went.My MIL saw this. Later, when he went to leave her in station, she told like "dont ever do this infront of me, I cant bear my son taking a used plate of his wife...bla...bla..".

This guy told me this and I asked,"What is wrong in this" and there went another fight.

My husband is basically a good person during initial days, he helps me a lot. He makes dosa,folds his/my cloths. Cleas Bathroom,mop the floor and get vegetables. He knew the pain of a working woman + I was pregnant.

One by one this lady told him, why are you folding her clothes and all. He stopped doing that. He listens to her bluntly. Slowly his mind was injected to believe that helping wife is a prestige issue for a boy. People will call him that he is behind me. He stopped everything.

I realized at one point,speaking to her should either make me or her happy. It doesnt. SO I stopped frequent calls. Even during direct visits, I talk very less to her. I realized a little freeness in mind and felt peaceful.

She wanted a boy baby. But I got a precious girl as I wished. She pretended infront of everybody that, she loves my daughter as she doesnt want her good name to spoil in the town. But it is quite natural that, she started loving my kid.

Next she started possessing my kid as well. Thank god that, my kid was brought up by parents for 2 years. Then this lady retired from school and came to take care of the baby. Its been an year now since she came to chennai.

I am mentally disturbed, because she was training my kid to call her "Amma". I stopped it indirectly. It was easy for me as my daughter already completed 2. NExt, she brainwash my kid to sleep with her daily. That also I am managing daily.
    She wanted to take my kid to native from the time my kid was born. I restricted this, but now my daughter is 3, so I am sending my daughter. I strongly believe that my daughter will never go from me. So these issues, I didnt give much importance.

She interfers in each and everything, any decision between us or house related. She is there. SHe offers so much money to my husband for the sake of holding him with her. I strongly avoid it. In case if he gets it due to crunch, I give it back.

She spoiled my husband's mind by saying ills about my parents/brothers(I have 3) and anni's(Brother wife's). This guy never stay in my parents/brother's house a single day, he thinks that, if he stays his mom will scold, his mom will think that he turned to our family.

But now, this guy is much better, understands things. He doesnt stay in our house, but he doesnt bother in me staying there.

I want to send this lady off to native and live a peaceful life. I am planning to be a full time housewife.

But will it create any further issues?. I am really confused. Will I loose respect?. I hear this my brothers and everybody. Can you ladies comment on this?.

2. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

You are in a dialoma to resigh your job or not?

How about taking a temp. break from your job to access the situation for some time.

What about your BIL ,he is married?

3. csyde

csyde Silver IL'ite

Never ever leave the job.

3 people like this.
  4. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

@deeprapriya - my since advise is to not leave your job for somebody else. your daughter is also 3 now and can go to playschool. So please manage for few more days and then you can have a nuclear family.

2 people like this.
  5. Sweety789

Sweety789 Silver IL'ite

Do not leave your job bcoz of MIL or to manage house core. may be agian ur MIL brainwash ur DH mind & u'll lose ur respect. Keep in touch with IL frnds ,these beautiful ladies will give all the good tips & advice to handle the situation.

4 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Forget about the mil for a while and think.Do you want to work? Do you enjoy working ?
    That should be the only concern while taking a decision.
    If you are not sure about quitting...then try a part time job.
    If you are sure....try pear's idea of temporary off first.

2 people like this.
  7. Marzipan

Marzipan Gold IL'ite

Are you sure she will go back to her native place if you become a housewife/homemaker? Now that she is retired she may decide to stay with you guys, so think before you take any major decision right now.

OP, I can understand you. Children are very vulnerable and malleable when they are small and get very easily attached to the people they spend most of their time with. However, don't interpret everything she does in a negative way. Maybe she lets your daughter sleep with her so that your husband and you can enjoy some intimacy and privacy.

Quitting job is not the only option to spend more time with you daughter. Have you discussed with your employer if you could work fewer hours or look for a part-time job?

2 people like this.
  8. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

GOLDEN RULE no 1 : Dont leave JOB for taking care of household when Mil is in same house. If you have to take a breakk, make sure you get back on

9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi op,

as ur daughter is 2+ , try to join her in play school near ur office or ur home, it is good for ur daughter to play with her age kids. U can extend her time slowly for daycare also till evening.

Any way ur daughter will go to school soon, so please don't leave job as getting back into job is time taking thing.

And why do u want to spend whole day at house with mil and active toddler. It would be very stressful., as whatever u do with ur kid ur mil will appear there with with her own ideas or opinions.

for household work please hire somebody, if needed cook also. Many ILites have hired cooks. Set up alternatives for all the work ur mil is doing right now. So no dependencies on mil. U manage ur house and take control.

10. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Don't quit your job. this is a temporary issue. Don't feel possessive about your kid being with her. After your kid starts going to school, it would be your MIL all by herself waiting for all to get back home. Better be patient. No one can take your role up!